Commission deregulation and performance of securities firms: Further evidence from Japan
This study explores the impacts on small securities firms' performance of the multi-stage commission deregulation in Japan from 1994 to 1999. Different from previous findings, market volume does not rise while commission rates fall following each phase of the deregulation. Therefore, securities firms' stock performance tends to decline as the deregulation proceeds, contrasting with the stock price increase reported previously. Moreover, the negative price effect tends to vary with firm size and deregulation phase, consistent with the fact that securities firms of different sizes depend to different extent on commission income from transactions covered by different phases of the deregulation.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Jarrell, Gregg A, 1984. "Change at the Exchange: The Causes and Effects of Deregulation," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 273-312, October.
- Aharon R. Ofer & Arie Melnick, 1978. "Price Deregulation in the Brokerage Industry: An Empirical Analysis," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 633-641, Autumn.
- Shinhua Liu & John D. Stowe, 2005. "The shareholder wealth effects of voluntary foreign delistings: an empirical analysis," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(4), pages 199-204, July.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-55, July.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 109-126, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jebusi:v:60:y:2008:i:4:p:355-368. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.