Reconceptualizing materialism as identity goal pursuits: Functions, processes, and consequences
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Belk, Russell W, 1985. "Materialism: Trait Aspects of Living in the Material World," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 265-280, December.
- Belk, Russell W, 1988. "Possessions and the Extended Self," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(2), pages 139-168, September.
- Rindfleisch, Aric & Burroughs, James E & Denton, Frank, 1997. "Family Structure, Materialism, and Compulsive Consumption," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 312-325, March.
- Ger, Guliz & Belk, Russell W., 1996. "Cross-cultural differences in materialism," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 55-77, February.
- O'Guinn, Thomas C & Shrum, L J, 1997. "The Role of Television in the Construction of Consumer Reality," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 278-294, March.
- Richins, Marsha L & Dawson, Scott, 1992. "A Consumer Values Orientation for Materialism and Its Measurement: Scale Development and Validation," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(3), pages 303-316, December.
- Jaehoon Lee & L. J. Shrum, 2012. "Conspicuous Consumption versus Charitable Behavior in Response to Social Exclusion: A Differential Needs Explanation," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 530-544.
- Veblen, Thorstein, 1899. "The Theory of the Leisure Class," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number veblen1899.
- Holt, Douglas B, 1995. "How Consumers Consume: A Typology of Consumption Practices," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 1-16, June.
- Burroughs, James E & Rindfleisch, Aric, 2002. "Materialism and Well-Being: A Conflicting Values Perspective," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(3), pages 348-370, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Foster, John, 2018. "The Consumption Function: A New Perspective," MPRA Paper 84383, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Savita Hanspal & P. Raj Devasagayam, 2017. "Impact of Consumersâ€™ Self-Image and Demographics on Preference for Healthy Labeled Foods," SAGE Open, , vol. 7(1), pages 21582440166, January.
- Kaufmann, Hans Ruediger & Petrovici, Dan Alex & Filho, Cid Gonçalves & Ayres, Adriano, 2016. "Identifying moderators of brand attachment for driving customer purchase intention of original vs counterfeits of luxury brands," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(12), pages 5735-5747.
- Dora E. Bock & Jacqueline K. Eastman & Kevin L. Eastman, 2018. "Encouraging Consumer Charitable Behavior: The Impact of Charitable Motivations, Gratitude, and Materialism," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 150(4), pages 1213-1228, July.
- Elodie Gentina & L. J. Shrum & Tina M. Lowrey, 2018. "Coping with Loneliness Through Materialism: Strategies Matter for Adolescent Development of Unethical Behaviors," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 152(1), pages 103-122, September.
- Gong Sun & Wangshuai Wang & Zhiming Cheng & Jie Li & Junhua Chen, 2017. "The Intermediate Linkage Between Materialism and Luxury Consumption: Evidence from the Emerging Market of China," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 132(1), pages 475-487, May.
- Ryoo, Yuhosua & Sung, Yongjun & Chechelnytska, Inna, 2020. "What makes materialistic consumers more ethical? Self-benefit vs. other-benefit appeals," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 173-183.
- Shino Takayama & Yuki Tamura & Terence Yeo, 2019. "Primaries, Strategic Voters and Heterogenous Valences," Discussion Papers Series 605, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Gentina, Elodie & Shrum, L.J. & Lowrey, Tina M., 2016. "Teen attitudes toward luxury fashion brands from a social identity perspective: A cross-cultural study of French and U.S. teenagers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(12), pages 5785-5792.
- Jaspers, Esther, 2018. "Opening up on consumer materialism," Other publications TiSEM a21cb1c8-5af1-46cc-9ea0-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Kniazeva, Maria & Babicheva, Eva, 2017. "(Un)saving face, or the designer face as a new consumer commodity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 143-148.
- Elodie Gentina & L. J. Shrum & Tina M. Lowrey & Scott J. Vitell & Gregory M. Rose, 2018. "An Integrative Model of the Influence of Parental and Peer Support on Consumer Ethical Beliefs: The Mediating Role of Self-Esteem, Power, and Materialism," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 150(4), pages 1173-1186, July.
- Vilches-Montero, Sonia & Nik Hashim, Nik Mohd Hazrul & Pandit, Ameet & Bravo-Olavarria, Renzo, 2018. "Using the senses to evaluate aesthetic products at the point of sale: The moderating role of consumersâ€™ goals," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 82-90.
- Lingguo Xu & Peter E. Earl & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2019. "Materialism and Economic Progress," Discussion Papers Series 604, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Lim, Weng Marc & Phang, Cynthia Su Chen & Lim, Ai Ling, 2020. "The effects of possession- and social inclusion-defined materialism on consumer behavior toward economical versus luxury product categories, goods versus services product types, and individual versus ," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 56(C).
- Rimple Manchanda, 2019. "Materialism – A Conceptualization for Contemporary Research," Indian Journal of Commerce and Management Studies, Educational Research Multimedia & Publications,India, vol. 10(1), pages 48-54, January.
- Jean-Noël Kapferer & Anne Michaut-Denizeau, 2020. "Are millennials really more sensitive to sustainable luxury? A cross-generational international comparison of sustainability consciousness when buying luxury," Journal of Brand Management, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(1), pages 35-47, January.
- Bartikowski, Boris & Walsh, Gianfranco, 2015. "Attitude toward cultural diversity: A test of identity-related antecedents and purchasing consequences," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 526-533.
- Zheng, Xiaoying & Baskin, Ernest & Peng, Siqing, 2018. "Feeling inferior, showing off: The effect of nonmaterial social comparisons on conspicuous consumption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 196-205.
- Davidson, Alexander & Habibi, Mohammad Reza & Laroche, Michel, 2018. "Materialism and the sharing economy: A cross-cultural study of American and Indian consumers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 82(C), pages 364-372.
- Ajitha, S. & Sivakumar, V.J., 2017. "Understanding the effect of personal and social value on attitude and usage behavior of luxury cosmetic brands," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 103-113.
- Ouyang, Mingkun & Cai, Xiao & Yin, Yulong & Zeng, Pan & Chen, Ye & Wang, Xingchao & Xie, Xiaochun & Wang, Pengcheng, 2020. "Student-student relationship and adolescent problematic smartphone use: The mediating role of materialism and the moderating role of narcissism," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 110(C).
- Małgorzata E. Górnik-Durose, 2020. "Materialism and Well-Being Revisited: The Impact of Personality," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 305-326, January.
- Sandra Awanis & Bodo B Schlegelmilch & Charles Chi Cui, 2017. "Asia’s materialists: Reconciling collectivism and materialism," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 48(8), pages 964-991, October.
More about this item
KeywordsMaterialism; Goal pursuit; Self-identity; Well-being;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:66:y:2013:i:8:p:1179-1185. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.