A general closed-form spread option pricing formula
We propose a new accurate method for pricing European spread options by extending the lower bound approximation of Bjerksund and Stensland (2011) beyond the classical Black–Scholes framework. This is possible via a procedure requiring a univariate Fourier inversion. In addition, we are also able to obtain a new tight upper bound. Our method provides also an exact closed form solution via Fourier inversion of the exchange option price, generalizing the Margrabe (1978) formula. The method is applicable to models in which the joint characteristic function of the underlying assets forming the spread is known analytically. We test the performance of these new pricing algorithms performing numerical experiments on different stochastic dynamic models.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Cartea, Álvaro & González-Pedraz, Carlos, 2012.
"How much should we pay for interconnecting electricity markets? A real options approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 14-30.
- González-Pedraz, Carlos & Cartea, Álvaro, 2010. "How much should we pay for interconnecting electricity markets? A real options approach," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB wb103206, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Ernst Eberlein & Dilip B. Madan, 2012. "Unbounded liabilities, capital reserve requirements and the taxpayer put option," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(5), pages 709-724, October.
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Pliska, Stanley R., 2004. "Option valuation with co-integrated asset prices," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 727-754, January.
- Paul Berhanu Girma & Albert S. Paulson, 1998. "Seasonality in petroleum futures spreads," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(5), pages 581-598, 08.
- Dempster, M.A.H. & Medova, Elena & Tang, Ke, 2008. "Long term spread option valuation and hedging," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2530-2540, December.
- Gerald Cheang & Carl Chiarella, 2011.
"Exchange Options Under Jump-Diffusion Dynamics,"
Applied Mathematical Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 245-276.
- Peter Laurence & Tai-Ho Wang, 2008. "Distribution-free upper bounds for spread options and market-implied antimonotonicity gap," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 717-734.
- Li, Minqiang, 2008. "Closed-Form Approximations for Spread Option Prices and Greeks," MPRA Paper 6994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dilip Madan, 2009. "Capital requirements, acceptable risks and profits," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(7), pages 767-773.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Aanand Venkatramanan & Carol Alexander, 2011. "Closed Form Approximations for Spread Options," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(5), pages 447-472, January.
- Ben Hambly & Sam Howison & Tino Kluge, 2009. "Modelling spikes and pricing swing options in electricity markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(8), pages 937-949.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Paul Berhanu Girma & Albert S. Paulson, 1999. "Risk arbitrage opportunities in petroleum futures spreads," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 931-955, December.
- Nielsen, J. Aase & Sandmann, Klaus, 2003. "Pricing Bounds on Asian Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 449-473, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:37:y:2013:i:12:p:4893-4906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.