Closed-Form Approximations for Spread Option Prices and Greeks
We develop a new closed-form approximation method for pricing spread options. Numerical analysis shows that our method is more accurate than existing analytical approximations. Our method is also extremely fast, with computing time more than two orders of magnitude shorter than one-dimensional numerical integration. We also develop closed-form approximations for the greeks of spread options. In addition, we analyze the price sensitivities of spread options and provide lower and upper bounds for digital spread options. Our method enables the accurate pricing of a bulk volume of spread options with different specifications in real time, which offers traders a potential edge in financial markets. The closed-form approximations of greeks serve as valuable tools in financial applications such as dynamic hedging and value-at-risk calculations.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Minqiang & Deng, Shijie & Zhou, Jieyun, 2008.
"Multi-asset Spread Option Pricing and Hedging,"
8259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lo, Andrew W., 1987. "Semi-parametric upper bounds for option prices and expected payoffs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 373-387, December.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Minqiang Li, 2008.
"The impact of return nonnormality on exchange options,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(9), pages 845-870, 09.
- Li, Minqiang, 2007. "The Impact of Return Nonnormality on Exchange Options," MPRA Paper 7020, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Perrakis, Stylianos & Ryan, Peter J, 1984. " Option Pricing Bounds in Discrete Time," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(2), pages 519-525, June.
- Paul Berhanu Girma & Albert S. Paulson, 1999. "Risk arbitrage opportunities in petroleum futures spreads," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 931-955, December.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-186, March.
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome, 1996. "American Option Valuation: New Bounds, Approximations, and a Comparison of Existing Methods," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(4), pages 1211-1250.
- Paul Berhanu Girma & Albert S. Paulson, 1998. "Seasonality in petroleum futures spreads," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(5), pages 581-598, 08.
- Geoffrey Poitras, 1998. "Spread options, exchange options, and arithmetic Brownian motion," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(5), pages 487-517, 08.
- Johnson, Shane A. & Tian, Yisong S., 2000. "Indexed executive stock options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 35-64, July.
- McDonald, Robert L & Siegel, Daniel R, 1985. "Investment and the Valuation of Firms When There Is an Option to Shut Down," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(2), pages 331-349, June.
- Chen, Ren-Raw & Yeh, Shih-Kuo, 2002. "Analytical Upper Bounds for American Option Prices," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(01), pages 117-135, March.
- Jarrow, Robert & Rudd, Andrew, 1982.
"Approximate option valuation for arbitrary stochastic processes,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 347-369, November.
- Robert JARROW & Andrew RUDD, 2008. "Approximate Option Valuation For Arbitrary Stochastic Processes," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 1, pages 9-31 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Chung, San-Lin & Chang, Hsieh-Chung, 2007. "Generalized Analytical Upper Bounds for American Option Prices," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(01), pages 209-227, March.
- Nielsen, J. Aase & Sandmann, Klaus, 2003. "Pricing Bounds on Asian Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 449-473, June.
- Vicky Henderson & David Hobson & William Shaw & Rafal Wojakowski, 2007. "Bounds for in-progress floating-strike Asian options using symmetry," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 151(1), pages 81-98, April.
- Mark Grinblatt & Sheridan Titman, "undated".
"Adverse Risk Incentives and the Design of Performance-Based Contracts,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
21-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Mark Grinblatt & Sheridan Titman, 1989. "Adverse Risk Incentives and the Design of Performance-Based Contracts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(7), pages 807-822, July.
- Robert L. Johnson & Carl R. Zulauf & Scott H. Irwin & Mary E. Gerlow, 1991. "The soybean complex spread: An examination of market efficiency from the viewpoint of a production process," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 25-37, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6994. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.