Convergence to market efficiency of top gainers
This study investigates the convergence process toward efficiency of daily top gainers. The convergence process toward efficiency is much clearer as a result of using a GARCH(1,Â 1) model compared to the OLS model, and exhibits a monotonic decline as the time interval increases. The relationship between volatility and order imbalances is, however, not strong enough, suggesting that market makers do have the capability to reduce price volatility. This study develops an imbalance-based trading strategy, which earns a positive profit but fails to outperform the buy-and-hold strategy (i.e., open-to-close returns). A nested causality approach, which examines the dynamic return-order imbalance relationship during the price-formation process, confirms the results.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Dayong & Wang, Fang, 2009. "Cash, investments and asset returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2301-2311, December.
- Chakrabarty, Bidisha & Li, Bingguang & Nguyen, Vanthuan & Van Ness, Robert A., 2007. "Trade classification algorithms for electronic communications network trades," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3806-3821, December.
- Darrat, Ali F. & Zhong, Maosen & Cheng, Louis T.W., 2007. "Intraday volume and volatility relations with and without public news," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2711-2729, September.
- Visaltanachoti, Nuttawat & Yang, Ting, 2010. "Speed of convergence to market efficiency for NYSE-listed foreign stocks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 594-605, March.
- Chordia, Tarun & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2004. "Order imbalance and individual stock returns: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 485-518, June.
- Durham, J. Benson, 2001. "Sensitivity analyses of anomalies in developed stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1503-1541, August.
- Rachev, Svetlozar & Jasic, Teo & Stoyanov, Stoyan & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2007. "Momentum strategies based on reward-risk stock selection criteria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2325-2346, August.
- Aktas, Nihat & de Bodt, Eric & Van Oppens, Hervé, 2008. "Legal insider trading and market efficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1379-1392, July.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2005. "Evidence on the speed of convergence to market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 271-292, May.
- Brown, Philip & Walsh, David & Yuen, Andrea, 1997. "The interaction between order imbalance and stock price," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 539-557, December.
- YongChern Su & HanChing Huang, 2008. "Dynamic causality between intraday return and order imbalance in NASDAQ speculative top gainers," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(18), pages 1489-1499.
- Chen, Chung & Wu, Chunchi, 1999. "The dynamics of dividends, earnings and prices: evidence and implications for dividend smoothing and signaling," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 29-58, January.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:34:y:2010:i:9:p:2230-2237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.