Global markets exposure and price efficiency: An empirical analysis of order flow dynamics of NYSE-listed Indian firms
We examine the effect of global competition for order flows, which arise due to listing of American Depository Receipts (ADRs) by six Indian firms on the NYSE, on the local market. Using order imbalance data for six months pre- and post-listing periods, which captures order flow dynamics, we show that price formation is more efficient in the post-listing period compared to pre-listing period. We also provide additional evidence on the local market quality due to ADRs listing.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2005. "Evidence on the speed of convergence to market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 271-292, May.
- Chordia, Tarun & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2004. "Order imbalance and individual stock returns: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 485-518, June.
- Blume, Marshall E & MacKinley, A Craig & Terker, Bruce, 1989. " Order Imbalances and Stock Price Movements on October 19 and 20, 1987," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 827-48, September.
- Mark S. Seasholes & Terrence Hendershott, 2007. "Market Maker Inventories and Stock Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 210-214, May.
- Christie William G. & Huang Roger D., 1994. "Market Structures and Liquidity: A Transactions Data Study of Exchange Listings," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 300-326, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Michael Pinegar, J. & Ravichandran, R., 2002. "Global and local information asymmetries, illiquidity and SEC Rule 144A/Regulation S: The case of Indian GDRs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1645-1673, August.
- Vicentiu Covrig & David K. Ding & Buen Sin Low, 2004. "The contribution of a satellite market to price discovery: Evidence from the Singapore exchange," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(10), pages 981-1004, October.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2000. "Commonality in liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 3-28, April.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2000.
"Order Imbalance, Liquidity, and Market Returns,"
University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management
qt7gh9t9w3, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Kam, Tai-Kong & Panchapagesan, Venkatesh & Weaver, Daniel G., 2003. "Competition among markets: The repeal of Rule 390," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1711-1736, September.
- Ian Domowitz & Jack Glen & Ananth Madhavan, 1998. "International Cross-Listing and Order Flow Migration: Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2001-2027, December.
- Battalio, Robert H, 1997. " Third Market Broker-Dealers: Cost Competitors or Cream Skimmers?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 341-52, March.
- Glosten, Lawrence R, 1989. "Insider Trading, Liquidity, and the Role of the Monopolist Specialist," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(2), pages 211-35, April.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- Lee, Charles M C & Ready, Mark J, 1991. " Inferring Trade Direction from Intraday Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 733-46, June.
- Cohen, Kalman J & Conroy, Robert M, 1990. "An Empirical Study of the Effect of Rule 19c-3," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(1), pages 277-305, April.
- Lee, Yi-Tsung & Liu, Yu-Jane & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2004. "Order Imbalances and Market Efficiency: Evidence from the Taiwan Stock Exchange," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(02), pages 327-341, June.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1993. "Assessing the Quality of a Security Market: A New Approach to Transaction-Cost Measurement," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 191-212.
- Krishnamurti, Chandrasekhar & Sequeira, John M. & Fangjian, Fu, 2003. "Stock exchange governance and market quality," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1859-1878, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfin:v:21:y:2011:i:5:p:686-706. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.