Global markets exposure and price efficiency: An empirical analysis of order flow dynamics of NYSE-listed Indian firms
We examine the effect of global competition for order flows, which arise due to listing of American Depository Receipts (ADRs) by six Indian firms on the NYSE, on the local market. Using order imbalance data for six months pre- and post-listing periods, which captures order flow dynamics, we show that price formation is more efficient in the post-listing period compared to pre-listing period. We also provide additional evidence on the local market quality due to ADRs listing.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christie William G. & Huang Roger D., 1994. "Market Structures and Liquidity: A Transactions Data Study of Exchange Listings," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 300-326, June.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-1199, September.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2005. "Evidence on the speed of convergence to market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 271-292, May.
- Glosten, Lawrence R, 1989. "Insider Trading, Liquidity, and the Role of the Monopolist Specialist," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(2), pages 211-235, April.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2000. "Commonality in liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 3-28, April.
- Ian Domowitz & Jack Glen & Ananth Madhavan, 1998. "International Cross-Listing and Order Flow Migration: Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2001-2027, December.
- Battalio, Robert H, 1997. " Third Market Broker-Dealers: Cost Competitors or Cream Skimmers?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 341-352, March.
- Blume, Marshall E & MacKinley, A Craig & Terker, Bruce, 1989. " Order Imbalances and Stock Price Movements on October 19 and 20, 1987," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 827-848, September.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1993. "Assessing the Quality of a Security Market: A New Approach to Transaction-Cost Measurement," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 191-212.
- Vicentiu Covrig & David K. Ding & Buen Sin Low, 2004. "The contribution of a satellite market to price discovery: Evidence from the Singapore exchange," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(10), pages 981-1004, October.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Kam, Tai-Kong & Panchapagesan, Venkatesh & Weaver, Daniel G., 2003. "Competition among markets: The repeal of Rule 390," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1711-1736, September.
- Krishnamurti, Chandrasekhar & Sequeira, John M. & Fangjian, Fu, 2003. "Stock exchange governance and market quality," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1859-1878, September.
- Mark S. Seasholes & Terrence Hendershott, 2007. "Market Maker Inventories and Stock Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 210-214, May.
- Chordia, Tarun & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2004. "Order imbalance and individual stock returns: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 485-518, June.
- Lee, Yi-Tsung & Liu, Yu-Jane & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2004. "Order Imbalances and Market Efficiency: Evidence from the Taiwan Stock Exchange," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(02), pages 327-341, June.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2002.
"Order imbalance, liquidity, and market returns,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 111-130, July.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2000. "Order Imbalance, Liquidity, and Market Returns," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt7gh9t9w3, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Cohen, Kalman J & Conroy, Robert M, 1990. "An Empirical Study of the Effect of Rule 19c-3," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(1), pages 277-305, April.
- Michael Pinegar, J. & Ravichandran, R., 2002. "Global and local information asymmetries, illiquidity and SEC Rule 144A/Regulation S: The case of Indian GDRs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1645-1673, August.
- Lee, Charles M C & Ready, Mark J, 1991. " Inferring Trade Direction from Intraday Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 733-746, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)