Asian trade flows: Trends, patterns and prospects
Over the past four decades merchandise trade of developing Asian economies (DAEs) has grown at a much faster rate than growth in world trade, with a distinct intra-regional bias. Global production sharing has become a unique feature of the region's economic landscape, with China playing a pivotal complementary role as the premier assembly centre within regional production networks. According to the projections made using the standard gravity model of international trade, total real non-oil trade of DAEs would increase at an annual rate of 8.2 percent during the next three decades, with a notable convergence of individual countries’ rates to the regional average. The share of intra-regional trade in total nonoil trade would increase steadily from 53 percent in 2010 to 58 percent in 2030. The trade-to-GDP ratio would increase from 39.4 percent and 74.4 percent between these two years.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Jong-Wha & Hong, Kiseok, 2010.
"Economic Growth in Asia: Determinants and Prospects,"
ADB Economics Working Paper Series
220, Asian Development Bank.
- Lee, Jong-Wha & Hong, Kiseok, 2012. "Economic growth in Asia: Determinants and prospects," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 101-113.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2008.
"Singapore And Asean In The New Regional Division Of Labor,"
The Singapore Economic Review (SER),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 53(03), pages 479-508.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Singapore and ASEAN in the New Regional Division of Labour," Departmental Working Papers 2006-11, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Wacziarg, Romain & Welch, Karen Horn, 2003.
"Trade Liberalization and Growth: New Evidence,"
1826, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2007.
"The Rise of China and East Asian Export Performance: Is the Crowding-out Fear Warranted?,"
Departmental Working Papers
2007-10, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2009. "The Rise of China and East Asian Export Performance: Is the Crowding-Out Fear Warranted?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 234-266, 02.
- Greenaway, David & Mahabir, Aruneema & Milner, Chris, 2008. "Has China displaced other Asian countries' exports?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 152-169, June.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, L. Alan, 1999.
"Regionalism in the Nineties: What Effect on Trade?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2183, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Alan Wintersb, L., 2001. "Regionalism in the nineties: what effect on trade?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Ng, Francis & Yeats, Alexander, 2003. "Major trade trends in East Asia : what are their implications for regional cooperation and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3084, The World Bank.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 2010.
"Production Networks and Trade Patterns in East Asia: Regionalization or Globalization?,"
Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration
56, Asian Development Bank.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2011. "Production Networks and Trade Patterns in East Asia: Regionalization or Globalization?," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 10(1), pages 65-95, January.
- Barry Eichengreen & Yeongseop Rhee & Hui Tong, 2007. "China and the Exports of Other Asian Countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 143(2), pages 201-226, July.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Archanun Kohpaiboon, 2011. "Australia-Thailand Trade: Has the FTA Made a Difference?," Departmental Working Papers 2011-12, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Paul Krugman, 1995. "Growing World Trade: Causes and Consequences," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 327-377.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:japwor:v:24:y:2012:i:2:p:150-162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.