Pricing congestion for arriving flights at Chicago O'Hare Airport
This paper estimates congestion fees for arriving flights at Chicago O'Hare Airport. The analysis finds that the level of congestion is only about a fifth of the magnitude of the congestion associated with departing flights. Congestion is much worse in poor weather conditions, and mitigating these weather delays is a primary objective of the current program to reconfigure the airfield. The analysis finds that the non-linearities inherent in models of congestion mean that even a very modest change in flight patterns reduces delays and congestion fees quite considerably.
Volume (Year): 16 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-air-transport-management/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Daniel, Joseph I. & Harback, Katherine Thomas, 2008.
"(When) Do hub airlines internalize their self-imposed congestion delays?,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 583-612, March.
- Joseph I. Daniel & Katherine Thomas Harback, 2005. "(When) Do Hub Airlines Internalize Their Self-Imposed Congestion Delays?," Working Papers 05-08, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Airport Congestion When Carriers Have Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1357-1375, December.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Kurt Van Dender, 2007.
"Atomistic Congestion Tolls at Concentrated Airports? Seeking a Unified View in the Internalization Debate,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2033, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Van Dender, Kurt, 2008. "Atomistic congestion tolls at concentrated airports? Seeking a unified view in the internalization debate," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 288-295, September.
- Karlsson, Joakim & Odoni, Amedeo & Yamanaka, Shiro, 2004. "The impact of infrastructure-related taxes and fees on domestic airline fares in the US," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 283-291.
- Christopher Mayer & Todd Sinai, 2003. "Network Effects, Congestion Externalities, and Air Traffic Delays: Or Why Not All Delays Are Evil," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1194-1215, September.
- Steven A. Morrison & Clifford Winston, 2007. "Another Look at Airport Congestion Pricing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 1970-1977, December.
- James A. Brander & Anming Zhang, 1990. "Market Conduct in the Airline Industry: An Empirical Investigation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(4), pages 567-583, Winter.
- Johnson, Tracy & Savage, Ian, 2006. "Departure delays, the pricing of congestion, and expansion proposals at Chicago Oâ€™Hare Airport," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 182-190.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jaitra:v:16:y:2010:i:1:p:36-41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.