Perceptions of effective leadership among Central Eurasian managers: A cultural convergence-divergence examination within a globalization context
The purpose of this study is to report on a research project that examined the responses of leaders from eight Central Eurasian countries concerning their perceptions of work-related values of effective organizational leaders. The respondents were participants in a two-week leadership development program held in Istanbul, Turkey. Content analysis of interview protocols and SYMLOG assessment methodology were used to explore two inter-related research questions regarding effective leadership concepts. The results yielded a profile of effective leadership for those interested in working in cross-national settings. The results also provided a cursory indication of the extent of trends in the processes of globalization and cultural convergence of Central Eurasian values, norms, and practices toward those of Western cultures regarding how effective leadership in organizations ought to be executed.
Volume (Year): 12 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elenkov, Detelin S., 2002. "Effects of leadership on organizational performance in Russian companies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 467-480, June.
- Bakacsi, Gyula & Sándor, Takács & András, Karácsonyi & Viktor, Imrek, 2002. "Eastern european cluster: tradition and transition," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 69-80, April.
- House, Robert & Javidan, Mansour & Hanges, Paul & Dorfman, Peter, 2002. "Understanding cultures and implicit leadership theories across the globe: an introduction to project GLOBE," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 3-10, April.
- Rugman, Alan M., 2005. "A further comment on the myth of globalization," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 441-445, September.
- Bird, Allan & Stevens, Michael J., 2003. "Toward an emergent global culture and the effects of globalization on obsolescing national cultures," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 395-407.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intman:v:12:y:2006:i:2:p:158-180. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.