A heuristic method for parameter selection in LS-SVM: Application to time series prediction
Least Squares Support Vector Machines (LS-SVM) are the state of the art in kernel methods for regression. These models have been successfully applied for time series modelling and prediction. A critical issue for the performance of these models is the choice of the kernel parameters and the hyperparameters which define the function to be minimized. In this paper a heuristic method for setting both the [sigma] parameter of the Gaussian kernel and the regularization hyperparameter based on information extracted from the time series to be modelled is presented and evaluated.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timo Teräsvirta & Marcelo C. Medeiros & Gianluigi Rech, 2006.
"Building neural network models for time series: a statistical approach,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 49-75.
- Marcelo C. Medeiros & Timo Terasvirta & Gianluigi Rech, 2002. "Building Neural Network Models for Time Series: A Statistical Approach," Textos para discussão 461, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Medeiros, Marcelo C. & Teräsvirta, Timo & Rech, Gianluigi, 2002. "Building neural network models for time series: A statistical approach," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 508, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Zhang, Guoqiang & Eddy Patuwo, B. & Y. Hu, Michael, 1998. "Forecasting with artificial neural networks:: The state of the art," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 35-62, March.
- Guy Melard & Jean-Michel Pasteels, 2000. "Automatic ARIMA modeling including interventions, using time series expert software," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13744, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jursa, René & Rohrig, Kurt, 2008. "Short-term wind power forecasting using evolutionary algorithms for the automated specification of artificial intelligence models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 694-709.
- Balkin, Sandy D. & Ord, J. Keith, 2000. "Automatic neural network modeling for univariate time series," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 509-515.
- Tay, Francis E. H. & Cao, Lijuan, 2001. "Application of support vector machines in financial time series forecasting," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 309-317, August.
- Alves da Silva, Alexandre P. & Ferreira, Vitor H. & Velasquez, Roberto M.G., 2008. "Input space to neural network based load forecasters," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 616-629.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:27:y::i:3:p:725-739. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.