Productivity growth and biased technological change: Credit banks in Japan
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Kumbhakar, Subal C, et al, 2001.
"The Effects of Deregulation on the Performance of Financial Institutions: The Case of Spanish Savings Banks,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 101-120, February.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Ana Lozano-Vivas & C. A. Knox Lovell & Iftekhar Hasan, 1999. "The Effects of Deregulation on the Performance of Financial Institutions: The Case of Spanish Savings Banks," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-064, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Guerra, Ramon & Weber, William L., 1999. "Efficiency and ownership: evidence from Japanese credit cooperatives," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 473-487.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J.B. & Simper, Richard, 2009. "Bank modelling methodologies: A comparative non-parametric analysis of efficiency in the Japanese banking sector," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Grifell-Tatje, E. & Lovell, C. A. K., 1997. "The sources of productivity change in Spanish banking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 364-380, April.
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 1997.
"Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 895-947, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Working Papers 97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Casu, Barbara & Girardone, Claudia & Molyneux, Philip, 2004. "Productivity change in European banking: A comparison of parametric and non-parametric approaches," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2521-2540, October.
- Jonathan Williams & Nicolas Peypoch & Carlos Pestana Barros, 2009. "The Luenberger indicator and productivity growth: a note on the European savings banks sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(6), pages 747-755.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Carbo, S & Gardener, E P M & Williams, J, 2002. "Efficiency in Banking: Empirical Evidence from the Savings Banks Sector," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(2), pages 204-228, March.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Williams, Barry, 2004. "Foreign bank entry, deregulation and bank efficiency: Lessons from the Australian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1775-1799, July.
- Kazunari Ohashi & Manmohan Singh, 2004. "Japan’s Distressed-Debt Market," IMF Working Papers 04/86, International Monetary Fund.
- Isidoro Guzman & Carmelo Reverte, 2008. "Productivity and efficiency change and shareholder value: evidence from the Spanish banking sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(15), pages 2037-2044.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi, 1996. "Returns to scale and efficiency of credit associations in Japan: A nonparametric frontier approach," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 259-277, September.
- Kaoru Hosono & Koji Sakai & Kotaro Tsuru, 2006. "Consolidation of Cooperative Banks (Shinkin) in Japan:Motives and Consequences," Discussion papers 06034, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Örkcü, H. Hasan & Balıkçı, Cemal & Dogan, Mustafa Isa & Genç, Aşır, 2016. "An evaluation of the operational efficiency of turkish airports using data envelopment analysis and the Malmquist productivity index: 2009–2014 case," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 92-104.
- Tsionas, Efthymios G. & Assaf, A. George & Matousek, Roman, 2015. "Dynamic technical and allocative efficiencies in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 130-139.
- Vithessonthi, Chaiporn, 2016. "Deflation, bank credit growth, and non-performing loans: Evidence from Japan," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 295-305.
- Duygun, Meryem & Sena, Vania & Shaban, Mohamed, 2016. "Trademarking activities and total factor productivity: Some evidence for British commercial banks using a metafrontier approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 72(S), pages 70-80.
- repec:eee:empfin:v:42:y:2017:i:c:p:66-89 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fragoudaki, Alexandra & Giokas, DimitriÎ¿s & Glyptou, Kyriaki, 2016. "Efficiency and productivity changes in Greek airports during the crisis years 2010â€“2014," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 306-315.
- Ionut Cristian Ivan, 2015. "Efficiency frontier on Japanese banking system," International Economics, University of Lodz, Faculty of Economics and Sociology, issue 12, pages 235-249, December.
- Kadziński, Miłosz & Labijak, Anna & Napieraj, Małgorzata, 2017. "Integrated framework for robustness analysis using ratio-based efficiency model with application to evaluation of Polish airports," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 1-18.
- Degl'Innocenti, Marta & Kourtzidis, Stavros A. & Sevic, Zeljko & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2017. "Bank productivity growth and convergence in the European Union during the financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 184-199.
- See, Kok Fong & Li, Fei, 2015. "Total factor productivity analysis of the UK airport industry: A Hicks-Moorsteen index method," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 1-10.
- Abbott, Malcolm, 2015. "Reform and efficiency of New Zealand's airports," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 1-9.
- Karligash Kenjegalieva & Richard Simper, 2010. "A Productivity analysis of Eastern European banking taking into account risk decomposition and environmental variables," Discussion Paper Series 2010_02, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jan 2010.
- Merkert, Rico & Assaf, A. George, 2015. "Using DEA models to jointly estimate service quality perception and profitability – Evidence from international airports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 42-50.
- Tomas Baležentis, 2014. "Total factor productivity in the Lithuanian family farms after accession to the EU: application of the bias-corrected Malmquist indices," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 731-746, November.
- Mamatzakis, Emmanuel & Matousek, Roman & Vu, Anh Nguyet, 2016. "What is the impact of bankrupt and restructured loans on Japanese bank efficiency?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 72(S), pages 187-202.
More about this item
KeywordsJapan Productivity Technological change Credit banks;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfin:v:19:y:2009:i:5:p:924-936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.