On the mortality/longevity risk hedging with mortality immunization
In this paper, we define the mortality durations and convexities of the prices of life insurance and annuity products with respect to an instantaneously proportional change and an instantaneously parallel shift, respectively, in μs (the forces of mortality), ps (the one-year survival probabilities) and qs (the one-year death probabilities), and further derive them as magnitude-free closed-form formulas. Then we propose several duration/convexity matching strategies to determine the weights of two or three products in an insurance portfolio. With the stochastic mortality models, we evaluate the Value-at-Risk (VaR) values and the hedge effectiveness of the surpluses at time zero for the underlying portfolio with these matching strategies. Illustrated numerical examples demonstrate that the duration/convexity matching strategies with respect to an instantaneously proportional change in μs and qs can significantly hedge the mortality/longevity risks.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 53 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Plat, Richard, 2009. "On stochastic mortality modeling," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 393-404, December.
- Cox, Samuel H. & Lin, Yijia & Pedersen, Hal, 2010. "Mortality risk modeling: Applications to insurance securitization," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 242-253, February.
- David F. Babbel & Anthony M. Santomero, 1997. "Risk Management by Insurers: An Analysis of the Process," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-16, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Hilliard, Jimmy E, 1984. " Hedging Interest Rate Risk with Futures Portfolios under Term Structure Effects," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1547-70, December.
- Coughlan, Guy & Khalaf-Allah, Marwa & Ye, Yijing & Kumar, Sumit & Cairns, Andrew & Blake, David & Dowd, Kevin, 2011. "Longevity hedging 101: A framework for longevity basis risk analysis and hedge effectiveness," MPRA Paper 35743, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hári, Norbert & De Waegenaere, Anja & Melenberg, Bertrand & Nijman, Theo E., 2008. "Estimating the term structure of mortality," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 492-504, April.
- Francesco Menoncin, 2006.
"The role of longevity bonds in optimal portfolios,"
0601, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Andrew J. G. Cairns & David Blake & Kevin Dowd, 2006. "A Two-Factor Model for Stochastic Mortality with Parameter Uncertainty: Theory and Calibration," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(4), pages 687-718.
- Fisher, Lawrence & Weil, Roman L, 1971. "Coping with the Risk of Interest-Rate Fluctuations: Returns to Bondholders from Naive and Optimal Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(4), pages 408-31, October.
- Tsai, Cary Chi-Liang & Chung, San-Lin, 2013. "Actuarial applications of the linear hazard transform in mortality immunization," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 48-63.
- Tsai, Jeffrey T. & Wang, Jennifer L. & Tzeng, Larry Y., 2010. "On the optimal product mix in life insurance companies using conditional value at risk," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 235-241, February.
- Chance, Don M, 1990. " Default Risk and the Duration of Zero Coupon Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 265-74, March.
- Chenghsien Tsai, 2009. "The Term Structure of Reserve Durations and the Duration of Aggregate Reserves," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(2), pages 419-441.
- Kevin Dowd & David Blake & Andrew J. G. Cairns & Paul Dawson, 2006. "Survivor Swaps," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 1-17.
- Bierwag, G. O., 1977. "Immunization, Duration, and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 725-742, December.
- Yijia Lin & Samuel H. Cox, 2005. "Securitization of Mortality Risks in Life Annuities," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 227-252.
- Stevens, Ralph & De Waegenaere, Anja & Melenberg, Bertrand, 2010. "Longevity risk in pension annuities with exchange options: The effect of product design," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 222-234, February.
- Jennifer L. Wang & H.C. Huang & Sharon S. Yang & Jeffrey T. Tsai, 2010. "An Optimal Product Mix for Hedging Longevity Risk in Life Insurance Companies: The Immunization Theory Approach," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(2), pages 473-497.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1995. " A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Fixed and Floating Rate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(3), pages 789-819, July.
- Carter, Lawrence R. & Lee, Ronald D., 1992. "Modeling and forecasting US sex differentials in mortality," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 393-411, November.
- Haberman, Steven & Renshaw, Arthur, 2009. "On age-period-cohort parametric mortality rate projections," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 255-270, October.
- Tsai, Cary Chi-Liang & Jiang, Lingzhi, 2011. "Actuarial applications of the linear hazard transform in life contingencies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 70-80, July.
- Plat, Richard, 2011. "One-year Value-at-Risk for longevity and mortality," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 462-470.
- Li, Johnny Siu-Hang & Luo, Ancheng, 2012. "Key Q-Duration: A Framework for Hedging Longevity Risk," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(02), pages 413-452, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:53:y:2013:i:3:p:580-596. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.