Actuarial applications of the linear hazard transform in life contingencies
In this paper, we study the linear hazard transform and its applications in life contingencies. Under the linear hazard transform, the survival function of a risk is distorted, which provides a safety margin for pricing insurance products. Combining the assumption of [alpha]-power approximation with the linear hazard transform, the net single premium of a continuous life insurance policy can be approximated in terms of the net single premiums of discrete ones. Moreover, Macaulay duration, modified duration and dollar duration, all measuring the sensitivity of the price of a life insurance policy to force of mortality movements under the linear hazard transform, are defined and investigated. Some examples are given for illustration.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dahan, Merav & Frostig, Esther & Langberg, Naftali A., 2003. "Analysis of heterogeneous endowment policies portfolios under fractional approximations," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 567-584, December.
- Frostig, Esther, 2003. "Properties of the power family of fractional age approximations," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 163-171, August.
- Shaun, Wang, 1995. "Insurance pricing and increased limits ratemaking by proportional hazards transforms," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 43-54, August.
- Wang, Shaun, 1996. "Ordering of risks under PH-transforms," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 109-114, July.
- Jones, Bruce L. & Mereu, John A., 2002. "A critique of fractional age assumptions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 363-370, June.
- Jones, Bruce L. & Mereu, John A., 2000. "A family of fractional age assumptions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 261-276, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:49:y:2011:i:1:p:70-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.