Optimal strategies for hedging portfolios of unit-linked life insurance contracts with minimum death guarantee
In this paper, we are interested in hedging strategies which allow the insurer to reduce the risk to their portfolio of unit-linked life insurance contracts with minimum death guarantee. Hedging strategies are developed in the Black and Scholes model and in the Merton jump-diffusion model. According to the new frameworks (IFRS, Solvency II and MCEV), risk premium is integrated into our valuations. We will study the optimality of hedging strategies by comparing risk indicators (Expected loss, volatility, VaR and CTE) in relation to transaction costs and costs generated by the re-hedging error. We will analyze the robustness of hedging strategies by stress-testing the effect of a sharp rise in future mortality rates and a severe depreciation in the price of the underlying asset.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, March.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-651, October.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Laurent Deville, 2001. "Estimation des coûts de transaction sur un marché gouverné par les ordres : le cas des composantes du CAC 40," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2001-02, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2004. "Static Hedging of Standard Options," Finance 0409016, EconWPA. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:48:y:2011:i:2:p:161-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.