A link between wave governed random motions and ruin processes
This article establishes a link between hitting times associated with the risk process (time of ruin) and wave governed random motions, which are widely used in physics. Concerning risk theory, another link holds between processes corresponding to models called positive and negative risk sums. Some classical results appear to be strongly interconnected. An original algorithm is proposed for computing finite-time ruin probabilities in renewal non-Poissonian risk model with exponential claims. Concerning wave-governed random motions, we analyze the distribution of the maxima of the processes. New bounds are directly derived from risk theory and appear to be more accurate than the ones proposed recently in the probabilistic literature. Finally, we propose applications of these notions in finance.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foong, S. K. & Kanno, S., 1994. "Properties of the telegrapher's random process with or without a trap," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 147-173, September.
- Panjer, Harry H., 1981. "Recursive Evaluation of a Family of Compound Distributions," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 22-26, June.
- Rulliere, Didier & Loisel, Stephane, 2004.
"Another look at the Picard-Lefevre formula for finite-time ruin probabilities,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 187-203, October.
- Didier Rullière & Stéphane Loisel, 2004. "Another look at the Picard-Lefèvre formula for finite-time ruin probabilities," Post-Print hal-00379412, HAL.
- Orsingher, Enzo, 1990. "Probability law, flow function, maximum distribution of wave-governed random motions and their connections with Kirchoff's laws," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 49-66, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:35:y:2004:i:2:p:205-222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.