Measuring and comparing the R&D performance of government research institutes: A bottom-up data envelopment analysis approach
Government-funded research institutes (GRIs) have played a pivotal role in national R&D in many countries. A prerequisite for achieving desired goals of GRIs with the limited R&D budget is to be able to effectively measure and compare R&D performance of GRIs. This paper proposes the bottom-up approach in which the performance of a GRI is measured based on the efficiency of its R&D projects. Data envelopment analysis (DEA) is employed to measure R&D efficiency of projects, and nonparametric statistical tests are run to measure and compare the R&D performance of GRIs. We apply the bottom-up DEA approach to the performance measurements of 10 Korean GRIs conducting a total of 1481 projects. The two alternatives for incorporating the relative importance of the output variables – the assurance region (AR) model and output integration – are also discussed. The proposed bottom-up approach can be used for formulating and implementing national R&D policy by effectively assessing the performance of GRIs.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Eric C. & Huang, Weichiao, 2007. "Relative efficiency of R&D activities: A cross-country study accounting for environmental factors in the DEA approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 260-273, March.
- Liu, John S. & Lu, Wen-Min, 2010. "DEA and ranking with the network-based approach: a case of R&D performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 453-464, December.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Chang, Hsihui, 2006. "The super-efficiency procedure for outlier identification, not for ranking efficient units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(2), pages 1311-1320, December.
- Abramo, Giovanni & D’Angelo, Ciriaco Andrea, 2014. "Assessing national strengths and weaknesses in research fields," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 766-775.
- Giovanni Abramo & Ciriaco Andrea D'Angelo, 2009. "Assessing technical and cost efficiency of research activities: a case study of the Italian university system," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 61-70, March.
- Kocher, Martin G. & Luptacik, Mikulas & Sutter, Matthias, 2006.
"Measuring productivity of research in economics: A cross-country study using DEA,"
Socio-Economic Planning Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 314-332, December.
- Kocher, Martin G. & Luptácik, Mikulás & Sutter, Matthias, 2001. "Measuring productivity of research in economics. A cross-country study using DEA," Department of Economics Working Paper Series 1632, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Kocher, Martin G. & Luptácik, Mikulás & Sutter, Matthias, 2006. "Measuring productivity of research in economics: A cross-country study using DEA," Munich Reprints in Economics 18192, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Martin G. Kocher & Mikulas Luptacik & Matthias Sutter, 2001. "Measuring Productivity of Research in Economics. A Cross-Country Study Using DEA," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp077, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Cherchye, L. & Abeele, P. Vanden, 2005. "On research efficiency: A micro-analysis of Dutch university research in Economics and Business Management," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 495-516, May.
- Laurens Cherchye & Piet Vanden Abeele, 2002. "On Research Efficiency: A Micro-Analysis of Dutch University Research in Economics and Business Management," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces0206, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Johnes, Jill & Johnes, Geraint, 1995. "Research funding and performance in U.K. University Departments of Economics: A frontier analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 301-314, September.
- Laurens Cherchye & Willem Moesen & Nicky Rogge & Tom Puyenbroeck, 2007. "An Introduction to ‘Benefit of the Doubt’ Composite Indicators," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 82(1), pages 111-145, May.
- Guan, Jiancheng & Chen, Kaihua, 2012. "Modeling the relative efficiency of national innovation systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 102-115.
- Groot, Tom & Garcia-Valderrama, Teresa, 2006. "Research quality and efficiency: An analysis of assessments and management issues in Dutch economics and business research programs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 1362-1376, November.
- Hsu, Fang-Ming & Hsueh, Chao-Chih, 2009. "Measuring relative efficiency of government-sponsored R&D projects: A three-stage approach," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 178-186, May.
- Adler, Nicole & Friedman, Lea & Sinuany-Stern, Zilla, 2002. "Review of ranking methods in the data envelopment analysis context," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 249-265, July.
- Tommaso Agasisti & Giuseppe Catalano & Paolo Landoni & Roberto Verganti, 2012. "Evaluating the performance of academic departments: an analysis of research-related output efficiency," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 2-14, February.
- Ortega, José Luis & López-Romero, Elena & Fernández, Inés, 2011. "Multivariate approach to classify research institutes according to their outputs: The case of the CSIC's institutes," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 323-332.
- Eom, Boo-Young & Lee, Keun, 2010. "Determinants of industry-academy linkages and, their impact on firm performance: The case of Korea as a latecomer in knowledge industrialization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 625-639, June.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Thompson, Russell G. & Langemeier, Larry N. & Lee, Chih-Tah & Lee, Euntaik & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "The role of multiplier bounds in efficiency analysis with application to Kansas farming," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 93-108.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Abramo, Giovanni & Cicero, Tindaro & D’Angelo, Ciriaco Andrea, 2011. "A field-standardized application of DEA to national-scale research assessment of universities," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 618-628.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Cinzia Daraio, 2003. "A robust nonparametric approach to the analysis of scientific productivity," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 47-69, April.
- Lee, Hakyeon & Park, Yongtae & Choi, Hoogon, 2009. "Comparative evaluation of performance of national R&D programs with heterogeneous objectives: A DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(3), pages 847-855, August.
- R. Allen & A. Athanassopoulos & R.G. Dyson & E. Thanassoulis, 1997. "Weights restrictions and value judgements in Data Envelopment Analysis: Evolution, development and future directions," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 73(0), pages 13-34, October.
- Saaty, Thomas L., 1990. "How to make a decision: The analytic hierarchy process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 9-26, September.
- Meng, Wei & Zhang, Daqun & Qi, Li & Liu, Wenbin, 2008. "Two-level DEA approaches in research evaluation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 950-957, December.
- Lee, Hakyeon & Shin, Juneseuk, 2014. "Measuring journal performance for multidisciplinary research: An efficiency perspective," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 77-88.
- Takamura, Yoshiharu & Tone, Kaoru, 2003. "A comparative site evaluation study for relocating Japanese government agencies out of Tokyo," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 85-102, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:infome:v:9:y:2015:i:4:p:942-953. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.