Evaluating debt repurchases What are the alternatives to investment?
In this paper a general model of debt repurchases is built which reconciles most of the points raised in the literature on debt buybacks. It is shown that results previously found in the literature can be obtained from this general model and are strongly dependant on assumptions made on its parameters. The condition that determines whether or not buybacks are an attractive solution from the point of the debtor nations is derived. Additionally it is shown that if there are other assets safer than investment, a debt buyback will always lead to an increase in investment and a reduction in the holdings of such other assets. This result holds independently of the source of the resources used for the buyback, unlike previous suggestions. With a buyback out of current resources, optimal reserves levels fall by more than what is used for the buyback, releasing extra resources for investment purposes, while current consumption does not fall. (JEL F34)
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1991.
"Sovereign Debt Repurchases: No Cure for Overhang,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1219-1235.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S & Zurita, Salvador, 1992. " Sovereign Debt: Optimal Contract, Underinvestment, and Forgiveness," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 981-1004, July.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1988.
"Buybacks, Exit Bonds, and the Optimality of Debt and Liquidity Relief,"
NBER Working Papers
2675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A, 1989. "Buybacks, Exit Bonds, and the Optimality of Debt and Liquidity Relief," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(1), pages 49-70, February.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988.
"Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?,"
NBER Working Papers
2623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bulow, J. & Rogoff, K., 1988. "Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?," Papers 411, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1998. "Sovereign Debt: Is to Forgive to Forget," Levine's Working Paper Archive 209, David K. Levine.
- Bulow, J. & Rogoff, K., 1988. "Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?," Working papers 8813, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1989.
"The Simple Analytics of Debt-Equity Swaps,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 440-51, June.
- Van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1990. "Cash/debt buy-backs and the insurance value of reserves," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 123-131, August.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Gersovitz, Mark & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1986.
"The pure theory of country risk,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 481-513, June.
- Goldberg, Linda & Spiegel, Mark M., 1992.
"Debt write-downs and debt--equity swaps in a two-sector model,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 267-283, November.
- Goldberg, L. & Spiegel, Mark M., 1989. "Debt Write-Downs And Debt-Equity Swaps In A Two Sector Model," Working Papers 89-19, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988. "Market-Based Debt-Reduction Schemes," NBER Working Papers 2587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988. "The Buyback Boondoggle," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(2), pages 675-704.
- Sachs, J.D., 1989. "New Approaches To The Latin American Debt Crisis," Princeton Studies in International Economics 174, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Michael P. Dooley, 1988. "Buy-Backs and Market Valuation of External Debt," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 215-229, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:inecon:v:40:y:1996:i:3-4:p:477-494. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.