The new cooperative medical scheme in China
The New Cooperative Medical Scheme (NCMS) is a heavily subsidized voluntary health insurance program established in 2003 to reduce the risk of catastrophic health spending for rural residents in China. In this review, we present the current collection of knowledge available regarding the performance of NCMS on the aspects of revenue collection, risk pooling, reimbursement rules and provider payment. The available evidence suggests that NCMS has substantially improved health care access and utilization among the participants; however, it appears to have no statistically significant effect on average household out-of-pocket health spending and catastrophic expenditure risk. As NCMS is rolled out to other counties, it must be careful to generalize the findings reported in the published papers and reports, because the early pilot counties were not randomly selected and there are a lot of local adaptations. In addition, we expect that NCMS could be an important opportunity to establish some trust-based institutions in the best interest of the participants to monitor provider quality and control cost inflation. Rigorous evaluations, based on richer and latest micro-level data, could considerably strengthen the evidence base for the performance and impact of NCMS.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Kanbur, Ravi, 2005.
"Spatial inequality in education and health care in China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 189-204.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Kanbur, Ravi, 2003. "Spatial Inequality In Education And Health Care In China," Working Papers 127256, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Xiaobo Zhang & Ravi Kanbur, 2004. "Spatial Inequality in Education and Health Care in China," Working Papers 159, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2003. "Spatial Inequality in Education and Health Care in China," CEPR Discussion Papers 4136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lindelow, Magnus & Wagstaff, Adam, 2005. "Health shocks in China : are the poor and uninsured less protected ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3740, The World Bank.
- Zhang, Licheng & Wang, Hong & Wang, Lushang & Hsiao, William, 2006. "Social capital and farmer's willingness-to-join a newly established community-based health insurance in rural China," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 233-242, April.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Lindelow, Magnus & Jun, Gao & Ling, Xu & Juncheng, Qian, 2009. "Extending health insurance to the rural population: An impact evaluation of China's new cooperative medical scheme," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Lindelow, Magnus & Gao Jun & Xu Ling & Qian Juncheng, 2007. "Extending health insurance to the rural population : an impact evaluation of China's new cooperative medical scheme," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4150, The World Bank.
- Xueshan, Feng & Shenglan, Tang & Bloom, Gerald & Segall, Malcolm & Xingyuan, Gu, 1995. "Cooperative medical schemes in contemporary rural China," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1111-1118, October.
- Karen Eggleston & Li Ling & Meng Qingyue & Magnus Lindelow & Adam Wagstaff, 2008. "Health service delivery in China: a literature review," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 149-165.
- Eggleston, Karen & Ling, Li & Qingyue, Meng & Lindelow, Magnus & Wagstaff, Adam, 2006. "Health Service Delivery in China: A Literature Review," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3978, The World Bank.
- Bloom, Gerald & Xingyuan, Gu, 1997. "Health sector reform: Lessons from China," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 351-360, August.
- Wang, Hong & Zhang, Licheng & Yip, Winnie & Hsiao, William, 2006. "Adverse selection in a voluntary Rural Mutual Health Care health insurance scheme in China," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(5), pages 1236-1245, September.
- Zheng, Xiang & Hillier, Sheila, 1995. "The reforms of the Chinese health care system: County level changes: The Jiangxi study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1057-1064, October.
- Wang, Hongman & Gu, Danan & Dupre, Matthew Egan, 2008. "Factors associated with enrollment, satisfaction, and sustainability of the New Cooperative Medical Scheme program in six study areas in rural Beijing," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 32-44, January.
- Yanzhong Wang, 2007. "Development of the New Rural Cooperative Medical System in China," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 15(4), pages 66-77.
- Xingyuan, Gu & Bloom, Gerald & Shenglan, Tang & Yingya, Zhu & Shouqi, Zhou & Xingbao, Chen, 1993. "Financing health care in rural China: Preliminary report of a nationwide study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 385-391, February.
- Wagstaff, Adam, 2005. "The economic consequences of health shocks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3644, The World Bank.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Lindelow, Magnus, 2008. "Can insurance increase financial risk?: The curious case of health insurance in China," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 990-1005, July.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Lindelow, Magnus, 2005. "Can insurance increase financial risk ? The curious case of health insurance in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3741, The World Bank.
- Xiaoyun Sun & Sukhan Jackson & Gordon Carmichael & Adrian C. Sleigh, 2008. "Effects of the New Cooperative Medical Scheme on village doctor’s prescribing behaviour in Shandong Province," Discussion Papers Series 354, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Liu, Jinan & Xu, Lingzhong & Cao, Xiuling & Wang, Xingzhou & Sun, Hui & Tang, Cheng & Yang, Zhenghui & Song, Xiaofei & Lv, Ming, 2008. "Analysis of satisfaction about new cooperative medical scheme and its influencing factors in Weihai, China," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 86(2-3), pages 239-244, May.
- Carrin, Guy & Ron, Aviva & Hui, Yang & Hong, Wang & Tuohong, Zhang & Licheng, Zhang & Shuo, Zhang & Yide, Ye & Jiaying, Chen & Qicheng, Jiang & Zhaoyang, Zhang & Jun, Yu & Xuesheng, Li, 1999. "The reform of the rural cooperative medical system in the People's Republic of China: interim experience in 14 pilot counties," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 48(7), pages 961-972, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)