Destabilizing properties of a VaR or probability-of-ruin constraint when variances may be infinite
Despite the use of VaR as a means to control risk, regulations that constrain VaR can have an effect opposite of their intent: to increase risk taking by firms that are doing poorly. Hence VaR constraint regulations can have a destabilizing effect on the financial system. A VaR constraint on the probability that future firm equity value will be less than a floor is a constraint on the probability-of-ruin when the floor is zero. The marginal price of risk with this constraint is coherent and also additive. For a wide class of distributions, the firm--when it is doing poorly--may pay a premium for a lottery that will increase the risk of its portfolio and the opposite when the firm is doing well.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Jarrow & A. Purnanandam, 2007. "The valuation of a firm’s investment opportunities: a reduced form credit risk perspective," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 39-58, January.
- Larry Eisenberg & Thomas H. Noe, 2001. "Systemic Risk in Financial Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 236-249, February.
- Amir Dembo & Jean-Dominique Deuschel & Darrell Duffie, 2004.
"Large portfolio losses,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 3-16, January.
- Gabaix, Xavier & Gopikrishnan, Parameswaran & Plerou, Vasiliki & Stanley, H.Eugene, 2003. "Understanding the cubic and half-cubic laws of financial fluctuations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 1-5.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finsta:v:7:y:2011:i:1:p:10-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.