The portfolio of renewable energy sources for achieving the three E policy goals
Renewable energy is considered by many policy-makers to contribute to achieving at least three major policy goals: the energy goal, the environmental goal, and the economic goal (3E goals). As an innovation-oriented island country with scarce natural resources, Taiwan announced the Sustainable Energy Policy Principles in 2008 that stated that Taiwan’s renewable energy policy should accomplish the 3E goals. Several studies point out that specific renewable energy policy goals lead to specific renewable energy sources and technologies because each type of renewable energy has different features. In order to achieve the renewable energy policy goals, this research aims to examine how different policy goals lead to corresponding renewable energy sources. The relative importance of each goal is evaluated by using analytic hierarchy process (AHP). The weight of each policy goal is adjusted separately to construct policy scenarios by the sensitivity analysis. According to the results, non-pumped storage hydropower, wind energy, and solar energy are three sources that could meet the three policy goals at the same time.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang, Keh-Chin & Lee, Tsong-Sheng & Lin, Wei-Min & Chung, Kung-Ming, 2008. "Outlook for solar water heaters in Taiwan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 66-72, January.
- Lund, P.D., 2007. "The link between political decision-making and energy options: Assessing future role of renewable energy and energy efficiency in Finland," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2271-2281.
- Chen, Falin & Lu, Shyi-Min & Chang, Yi-Lin, 2007. "Renewable energy in Taiwan: Its developing status and strategy," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1634-1646.
- Ramanathan, R. & Ganesh, L. S., 1995. "Energy resource allocation incorporating qualitative and quantitative criteria: An integrated model using goal programming and AHP," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 197-218, September.
- World Commission on Environment and Development,, 1987. "Our Common Future," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192820808.
- Lotfalipour, Mohammad Reza & Falahi, Mohammad Ali & Ashena, Malihe, 2010. "Economic growth, CO2 emissions, and fossil fuels consumption in Iran," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 5115-5120.
- Kablan, M. M., 2004. "Decision support for energy conservation promotion:: an analytic hierarchy process approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1151-1158, July.
- Jaber, J.O. & Jaber, Q.M. & Sawalha, S.A. & Mohsen, M.S., 2008. "Evaluation of conventional and renewable energy sources for space heating in the household sector," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 278-289, January.
- Asif, M. & Muneer, T., 2007. "Energy supply, its demand and security issues for developed and emerging economies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(7), pages 1388-1413, September.
- Nigim, K. & Munier, N. & Green, J., 2004. "Pre-feasibility MCDM tools to aid communities in prioritizing local viable renewable energy sources," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1775-1791.
- Komor, Paul & Bazilian, Morgan, 2005. "Renewable energy policy goals, programs, and technologies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(14), pages 1873-1881, September.
- Chatzimouratidis, Athanasios I. & Pilavachi, Petros A., 2009. "Sensitivity analysis of technological, economic and sustainability evaluation of power plants using the analytic hierarchy process," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 788-798, March.
- Lipošćak, Marko & Afgan, Naim H. & Duić, Neven & da Graça Carvalho, Maria, 2006. "Sustainability assessment of cogeneration sector development in Croatia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(13), pages 2276-2284.
- Chen, Fengzhen & Duic, Neven & Manuel Alves, Luis & da Graça Carvalho, Maria, 2007. "Renewislands--Renewable energy solutions for islands," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(8), pages 1888-1902, October.
- Lior, Noam, 2010. "Sustainable energy development: The present (2009) situation and possible paths to the future," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 3976-3994.
- Mabel, M. Carolin & Raj, R. Edwin & Fernandez, E., 2010. "Adequacy evaluation of wind power generation systems," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 5217-5222.
- Greening, Lorna A. & Bernow, Steve, 2004. "Design of coordinated energy and environmental policies: use of multi-criteria decision-making," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 721-735, April.
- Georgilakis, Pavlos S. & Katsigiannis, Yiannis A., 2009. "Reliability and economic evaluation of small autonomous power systems containing only renewable energy sources," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 65-70.
- Liu, Li-qun & Wang, Zhi-xin, 2009. "The development and application practice of wind-solar energy hybrid generation systems in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1504-1512, August.
- Erdogmus, Senol & Aras, Haydar & Koç, Eylem, 2006. "Evaluation of alternative fuels for residential heating in Turkey using analytic network process (ANP) with group decision-making," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 269-279, June.
- Jovanović, Marina & Afgan, Naim & Radovanović, Predrag & Stevanović, Vladimir, 2009. "Sustainable development of the Belgrade energy system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 532-539.
- Mamlook, Rustom & Akash, Bilal A & Mohsen, Mousa S, 2001. "A neuro-fuzzy program approach for evaluating electric power generation systems," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 619-632.
- Lee, Seong Kon & Yoon, Yong Jin & Kim, Jong Wook, 2007. "A study on making a long-term improvement in the national energy efficiency and GHG control plans by the AHP approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 2862-2868, May.
- Taljan, Gregor & Gubina, Andrej F., 2009. "Energy-based system well-being analysis for small systems with intermittent renewable energy sources," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2651-2661.
- Safaei Mohamadabadi, H. & Tichkowsky, G. & Kumar, A., 2009. "Development of a multi-criteria assessment model for ranking of renewable and non-renewable transportation fuel vehicles," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 112-125.
- Beccali, M. & Cellura, M. & Mistretta, M., 2003. "Decision-making in energy planning. Application of the Electre method at regional level for the diffusion of renewable energy technology," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(13), pages 2063-2087.
- Begić, Fajik & Afgan, Naim H., 2007. "Sustainability assessment tool for the decision making in selection of energy system—Bosnian case," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1979-1985.
- Powell, E.E. & Hill, G.A., 2010. "Carbon dioxide neutral, integrated biofuel facility," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 4582-4586.
- Afgan, Naim H. & Carvalho, Maria G., 2002. "Multi-criteria assessment of new and renewable energy power plants," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 739-755.
- Yoram Wind & Thomas L. Saaty, 1980. "Marketing Applications of the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 641-658, July.
- Wu, J.H. & Huang, Y.H., 2006. "Renewable energy perspectives and support mechanisms in Taiwan," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 1718-1732.
- Lewis, Joanna I. & Wiser, Ryan H., 2007. "Fostering a renewable energy technology industry: An international comparison of wind industry policy support mechanisms," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1844-1857, March.
- Huang, Chi-Cheng & Chu, Pin-Yu & Chiang, Yu-Hsiu, 2008. "A fuzzy AHP application in government-sponsored R&D project selection," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1038-1052, December.
- Gross, Robert, 2004. "Technologies and innovation for system change in the UK: status, prospects and system requirements of some leading renewable energy options," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(17), pages 1905-1919, November.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2008," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 64 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:energy:v:36:y:2011:i:5:p:2589-2598. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.