Impact evaluation of productive use—An implementation guideline for electrification projects
There is a consensus in the international community that rural electrification and, in particular, the productive use of electricity contributes to poverty alleviation. At the same time, efforts to evaluate the impacts of development projects have increased substantially. This paper provides a hands-on guide for designing evaluation studies regarding the impacts of productive electricity usage. Complementary to the existing literature on evaluation methods, this guide familiarizes project managers with the concrete steps that have to be undertaken to plan and implement an evaluation. The guide comprises three modules based on enterprise surveys and on anecdotal case studies. For each module, the implementation is described on a step-by-step basis including conceptual issues as well as logistics and methodological questions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:zbw:rwirep:0136 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bensch, Gunther & Kluve, Jochen & Peters, Jörg, 2011.
"Impacts of Rural Electrification in Rwanda,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
284, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Harsdorff, Marek & Peters, Jörg, 2010. "On-grid rural electrification in Benin: A socio-economic baseline study on a GTZ Project," RWI Materialien 57, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Becerril, Javier & Abdulai, Awudu, 2010. "The Impact of Improved Maize Varieties on Poverty in Mexico: A Propensity Score-Matching Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1024-1035, July.
- Peters, Jörg & Vance, Colin & Harsdorff, Marek, 2011. "Grid Extension in Rural Benin: Micro-Manufacturers and the Electrification Trap," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 773-783, May.
- repec:zbw:rwimat:060 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ravallion, Martin, 2008.
"Evaluating Anti-Poverty Programs,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
- Toshio Kondo & Aniceto Orbeta Jr. & Clarence Dingcong & Christine Infantado, 2008.
"Impact of Microfinance on Rural Households in the Philippines,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22639, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C. & Dingcong, Clarence G. & Kondo, Toshio & Infantado, Christine, 2008. "Impact of Microfinance on Rural Households in the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2008-05, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Bensch, Gunther & Peters, Jörg, 2010. "Socio-economic impacts of rural electrification in Rwanda: An ex-ante assessment of GTZ activities," RWI Materialien 60, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- White, Howard, 2002. "Combining Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches in Poverty Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 511-522, March.
- Peters, Jörg, 2009. "Evaluating Rural Electrification Projects - Methodological Approaches," Ruhr Economic Papers 136, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- repec:zbw:rwimat:057 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul J. Gertler & Sebastian Martinez & Patrick Premand & Laura B. Rawlings & Christel M. J. Vermeersch, 2011. "Impact Evaluation in Practice, First Edition," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2550.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Costantino, Marco, 2008. "The Effects of Fair Trade on Affiliated Producers: An Impact Analysis on Kenyan Farmers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 823-842, May.
- repec:zbw:rwirep:0284 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schmook, Birgit & Vance, Colin, 2009. "Agricultural Policy, Market Barriers, and Deforestation: The Case of Mexico's Southern Yucatn," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1015-1025, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:40:y:2012:i:c:p:186-195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.