Energy consumption in Kuwait: Prospects and future approaches
In Kuwait, the consumption of oil, the country's main source of energy, is increasing year by year. In addition to the harsh climate and the rapid economic and construction growth in the country, there are further aspects of energy inefficiency. While 10% of the produced energy was being consumed locally in 1980, this percentage increased to 20% in 2005 and is expected to reach 40% by 2015. If this situation continues, the country will be forced to increase production or reduce exportation. Both options will cause serious problems to the country in meeting future energy demands due to its dependence on oil as a source of income, shortages of other energy resources, and the environmental care of the country. In this work, we assess the energy situation in Kuwait and its historical, current, and future conditions with a focus on the power plant sector, as it is the major consumer of energy in the country. Finally, an attempt is made to briefly describe the most realistic and efficient electricity production solutions available and to discuss other alternative resources such as nuclear, solar, and wind energy.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eltony, M. N. & Al-Mutairi, N. H., 1995. "Demand for gasoline in Kuwait : An empirical analysis using cointegration techniques," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 249-253, July.
- Ghaddar, N.K. & Shihab, M. & Bdeir, F., 1997. "Modeling and simulation of solar absorption system performance in Beirut," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 539-558.
- Al-Nassar, W. & Alhajraf, S. & Al-Enizi, A. & Al-Awadhi, L., 2005. "Potential wind power generation in the State of Kuwait," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(14), pages 2149-2161.
- Al-Marafie, A.M.R., 1988. "Assessment and prospects for energy resources in kuwait," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 647-656.
- Ayyash, S., 1983. "Power needs of cooling systems in Kuwait and their effects on the utility," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 109-120, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:39:y:2011:i:2:p:637-643. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.