The use of multiple criteria decision making methodologies for the promotion of RES through funding schemes in Cyprus, A review
In isolated energy systems with no indigenous sources of energy such as the one of the Republic of Cyprus, the renewable energy option is the only alternative to achieve energy independence. Though, the relative technological maturity of renewable energy sources and their satisfactory efficiencies, their implementation has not reached the expected levels in many regions. This situation is mainly due to the fact that the up-to-date efforts for their development have been underestimated and the parameters involved in drafting subsidy schemes are in some cases misinterpreted and not given the appropriate attention. Decision makers are faced with ongoing major energy challenges such as fossil fuel depletion, increasing demand, energy prices and thus the move towards a sustainable energy development is crucial and highly complicated. This paper investigates the use of MCDM methods and then implements the methods for three subsidy schemes available in Cyprus.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lonngren, Karl E. & Bai, Er-Wei, 2008. "On the global warming problem due to carbon dioxide," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1567-1568, April.
- Goumas, M. G. & Lygerou, V. A. & Papayannakis, L. E., 1999. "Computational methods for planning and evaluating geothermal energy projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 147-154, March.
- Nijkamp, Peter & Volwahsen, Andreas, 1990. "New directions in integrated regional energy planning," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(8), pages 764-773, October.
- Huang, J.P. & Poh, K.L. & Ang, B.W., 1995. "Decision analysis in energy and environmental modeling," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 843-855.
- Xiaohua, Wang & Zhenmin, Feng, 2002. "Sustainable development of rural energy and its appraising system in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 395-404, August.
- Siskos, J. & Hubert, Ph., 1983. "Multi-criteria analysis of the impacts of energy alternatives: A survey and a new comparative approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 278-299, July.
- Doukas, Haris & Patlitzianas, Konstantinos D. & Kagiannas, Argyris G. & Psarras, John, 2006. "Renewable energy sources and rationale use of energy development in the countries of GCC: Myth or reality?," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 755-770.
- Vine, Edward, 2005. "An international survey of the energy service company (ESCO) industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 691-704, March.
- James S. Dyer, 1990. "Remarks on the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 249-258, March.
- Figueira, Jose & Roy, Bernard, 2002. "Determining the weights of criteria in the ELECTRE type methods with a revised Simos' procedure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(2), pages 317-326, June.
- Hobbs, Benjamin F & Horn, Graham TF, 1997. "Building public confidence in energy planning: a multimethod MCDM approach to demand-side planning at BC gas," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 357-375, February.
- Beccali, M. & Cellura, M. & Mistretta, M., 2003. "Decision-making in energy planning. Application of the Electre method at regional level for the diffusion of renewable energy technology," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(13), pages 2063-2087.
- Andrews, Clinton J & Govil, Shivani, 1995. "Becoming proactive about environmental risks : Regulatory reform and risk management in the US electricity sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 885-892, October.
- Karni, Reuven & Feigin, Paul & Breiner, Avishai, 1992. "Multicriterion issues in energy policymaking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 30-40, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:38:y:2010:i:12:p:7783-7792. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.