Forecasting foreign exchange rates with adaptive neural networks using radial-basis functions and Particle Swarm Optimization
The motivation for this paper is to introduce a hybrid neural network architecture of Particle Swarm Optimization and Adaptive Radial Basis Function (ARBF–PSO), a time varying leverage trading strategy based on Glosten, Jagannathan and Runkle (GJR) volatility forecasts and a neural network fitness function for financial forecasting purposes. This is done by benchmarking the ARBF–PSO results with those of three different neural networks architectures, a Nearest Neighbors algorithm (k-NN), an autoregressive moving average model (ARMA), a moving average convergence/divergence model (MACD) plus a naı¨ve strategy. More specifically, the trading and statistical performance of all models is investigated in a forecast simulation of the EUR/USD, EUR/GBP and EUR/JPY ECB exchange rate fixing time series over the period January 1999–March 2011 using the last 2years for out-of-sample testing.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Adeodato, Paulo J.L. & Arnaud, Adrian L. & Vasconcelos, Germano C. & Cunha, Rodrigo C.L.V. & Monteiro, Domingos S.M.P., 2011. "MLP ensembles improve long term prediction accuracy over single networks," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 661-671, July.
- Bekaert, Geert & Wu, Guojun, 2000.
"Asymmetric Volatility and Risk in Equity Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 1-42.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 1990.
"A Simple, Non-Parametric Test Of Predictive Performance,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9021, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 1992. "A Simple Nonparametric Test of Predictive Performance," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 561-65, October.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 1990. "A Simple Non-Parametric Test Of Predictive Performance," Papers 29, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Adeodato, Paulo J.L. & Arnaud, Adrian L. & Vasconcelos, Germano C. & Cunha, Rodrigo C.L.V. & Monteiro, Domingos S.M.P., 2011. "MLP ensembles improve long term prediction accuracy over single networks," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 661-671.
- Yang, Jian & Su, Xiaojing & Kolari, James W., 2008. "Do Euro exchange rates follow a martingale? Some out-of-sample evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 729-740, May.
- Khurshid Kiani & Terry Kastens, 2008. "Testing Forecast Accuracy of Foreign Exchange Rates: Predictions from Feed Forward and Various Recurrent Neural Network Architectures," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 383-406, November.
- Wang, Ju-Jie & Wang, Jian-Zhou & Zhang, Zhe-George & Guo, Shu-Po, 2012. "Stock index forecasting based on a hybrid model," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 758-766.
- S. D. Bekiros & D. A. Georgoutsos, 2008.
"Direction-of-change forecasting using a volatility-based recurrent neural network,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(5), pages 407-417.
- Bekiros, S. & Georgoutsos, D., 2006. "Direction-of-Change Forecasting using a Volatility- Based Recurrent Neural Network," CeNDEF Working Papers 06-16, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Halbert White, 2000. "A Reality Check for Data Snooping," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1097-1126, September.
- Shapiro, Arnold F., 2000. "A Hitchhiker's guide to the techniques of adaptive nonlinear models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 119-132, May.
- Yang, Jian & Cabrera, Juan & Wang, Tao, 2010. "Nonlinearity, data-snooping, and stock index ETF return predictability," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(2), pages 498-507, January.
- Andreou, Panayiotis C. & Charalambous, Chris & Martzoukos, Spiros H., 2008. "Pricing and trading European options by combining artificial neural networks and parametric models with implied parameters," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1415-1433, March.
- Panda, Chakradhara & Narasimhan, V., 2007. "Forecasting exchange rate better with artificial neural network," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 227-236.
- Zhang, Guoqiang & Eddy Patuwo, B. & Y. Hu, Michael, 1998. "Forecasting with artificial neural networks:: The state of the art," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 35-62, March.
- Bekiros, Stelios D., 2010. "Fuzzy adaptive decision-making for boundedly rational traders in speculative stock markets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 285-293, April.
- Huck, Nicolas, 2010. "Pairs trading and outranking: The multi-step-ahead forecasting case," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1702-1716, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:225:y:2013:i:3:p:528-540. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.