Optimal selection of retailers for a manufacturing vendor in a vendor managed inventory system
A Vendor Managed Inventory (VMI) system consists of a manufacturing vendor and a number of retailers. In such a system, it is essential for the vendor to optimally determine retailer selection and other related decisions, such as the product’s replenishment cycle time and the wholesale price, in order to maximize his profit. Meanwhile, each retailer’s decisions on her willingness to enter the system and retail price are simultaneously considered in the retailer selection process. However, the above interactive decision making is complex and the available studies on interactive retailer selection are scarce. In this study, we formulate the retailer selection problem as a Stackelberg game model to help the manufacturer, as a vendor, optimally select his retailers to form a VMI system. This model is non-linear, mixed-integer, game-theoretic, and analytically intractable. Therefore, we further develop a hybrid algorithm for effectively and efficiently solving the developed model. The hybrid algorithm combines dynamic programming (DP), genetic algorithm (GA) and analytical methods. As demonstrated by our numerical studies, the optimal retailer selection can increase the manufacturer’s profit by up to 90% and the selected retailers’ profits significantly compared to non-selection strategy. The proposed hybrid algorithm can solve the model within a minute for a problem with 100 candidate retailers, whereas a pure GA has to take more than 1h to solve a small sized problem of 20 candidate retailers achieving an objective value no worse than that obtained by the hybrid algorithm.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Shanling & Murat, Alper & Huang, Wanzhen, 2009. "Selection of contract suppliers under price and demand uncertainty in a dynamic market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(3), pages 830-847, November.
- Gheidar Kheljani, J. & Ghodsypour, S.H. & O'Brien, C., 2009. "Optimizing whole supply chain benefit versus buyer's benefit through supplier selection," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 482-493, October.
- Ghodsypour, S. H. & O'Brien, C., 2001. "The total cost of logistics in supplier selection, under conditions of multiple sourcing, multiple criteria and capacity constraint," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 15-27, August.
- Zhang, Ju-liang & Zhang, Ming-yu, 2011. "Supplier selection and purchase problem with fixed cost and constrained order quantities under stochastic demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 1-7, January.
- Solnon, Christine & Cung, Van Dat & Nguyen, Alain & Artigues, Christian, 2008. "The car sequencing problem: Overview of state-of-the-art methods and industrial case-study of the ROADEF'2005 challenge problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(3), pages 912-927, December.
- Yu, Yugang & Chu, Feng & Chen, Haoxun, 2009. "A Stackelberg game and its improvement in a VMI system with a manufacturing vendor," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 929-948, February.
- Talluri, Srinivas, 2002. "A buyer-seller game model for selection and negotiation of purchasing bids," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 171-180, November.
- Chen, Jen-Ming & Lin, I-Chen & Cheng, Hung-Liang, 2010. "Channel coordination under consignment and vendor-managed inventory in a distribution system," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 831-843, November.
- Ng, Wan Lung, 2008. "An efficient and simple model for multiple criteria supplier selection problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(3), pages 1059-1067, May.
- Wu, Desheng Dash & Zhang, Yidong & Wu, Dexiang & Olson, David L., 2010. "Fuzzy multi-objective programming for supplier selection and risk modeling: A possibility approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(3), pages 774-787, February.
- Mendoza, Abraham & Ventura, José A., 2010. "A serial inventory system with supplier selection and order quantity allocation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1304-1315, December.
- Degraeve, Zeger & Labro, Eva & Roodhooft, Filip, 2000. "An evaluation of vendor selection models from a total cost of ownership perspective," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 34-58, August.
- Cai, Gangshu & Kock, Ned, 2009. "An evolutionary game theoretic perspective on e-collaboration: The collaboration effort and media relativeness," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(3), pages 821-833, May.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Paul H. Zipkin, 1999. "Competitive and Cooperative Inventory Policies in a Two-Stage Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 936-953, July.
- Mansini, Renata & Savelsbergh, Martin W.P. & Tocchella, Barbara, 2012. "The supplier selection problem with quantity discounts and truckload shipping," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 445-455.
- Wang, Qinan & Parlar, Mahmut, 1994. "A three-person game theory model arising in stochastic inventory control theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 83-97, July.
- Yunzeng Wang & Yigal Gerchak, 2001. "Supply Chain Coordination when Demand Is Shelf-Space Dependent," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(1), pages 82-87, August.
- Ho, William & Xu, Xiaowei & Dey, Prasanta K., 2010. "Multi-criteria decision making approaches for supplier evaluation and selection: A literature review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 16-24, April.
- Slikker, Marco & Fransoo, Jan & Wouters, Marc, 2005. "Cooperation between multiple news-vendors with transshipments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 370-380, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:225:y:2013:i:2:p:273-284. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.