The supplier selection problem with quantity discounts and truckload shipping
To minimize procurement expenditures both purchasing and transportation costs need to be considered. We study a procurement setting in which a company needs to purchase a number of products from a set of suppliers to satisfy customer demand. The suppliers offer total quantity discounts and transportation costs are based on truckload shipping rates. The goal is to select a set of suppliers so as to satisfy product demand at minimal total costs. The resulting optimization problem is strongly NP-hard. We develop integer programming based heuristics to solve the problem. Extensive computational experiments demonstrate the efficacy of the proposed heuristics and provide insight into the impact of instance characteristics on effective procurement strategies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert M. Saltzman & Frederick S. Hillier, 1992. "A Heuristic Ceiling Point Algorithm for General Integer Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(2), pages 263-283, February.
- Awasthi, A. & Chauhan, S.S. & Goyal, S.K. & Proth, Jean-Marie, 2009. "Supplier selection problem for a single manufacturing unit under stochastic demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 229-233, January.
- Zhang, Ju-liang & Zhang, Ming-yu, 2011. "Supplier selection and purchase problem with fixed cost and constrained order quantities under stochastic demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 1-7, January.
- Burke, Gerard J. & Carrillo, Janice E. & Vakharia, Asoo J., 2007. "Single versus multiple supplier sourcing strategies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 95-112, October.
- Xia, Weijun & Wu, Zhiming, 2007. "Supplier selection with multiple criteria in volume discount environments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 494-504, October.
- Meir J. Rosenblatt & Yale T. Herer & Ilan Hefter, 1998. "Note. An Acquisition Policy for a Single Item Multi-Supplier System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(11-Part-2), pages S96-S100, November.
- Ravi Anupindi & Ram Akella, 1993. "Diversification Under Supply Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(8), pages 944-963, August.
- Burke, Gerard J. & Carrillo, Janice & Vakharia, Asoo J., 2008. "Heuristics for sourcing from multiple suppliers with alternative quantity discounts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 317-329, April.
- Chauhan, Satyaveer Singh & Proth, Jean-Marie, 2003. "The concave cost supply problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 374-383, July.
- Maqbool Dada & Nicholas C. Petruzzi & Leroy B. Schwarz, 2007. "A Newsvendor's Procurement Problem when Suppliers Are Unreliable," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 9(1), pages 9-32, August.
- Verma, Rohit & Pullman, Madeleine E., 1998. "An analysis of the supplier selection process," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 739-750, December.
- E. Angelelli & R. Mansini & M. Vindigni, 2009. "Exploring greedy criteria for the dynamic traveling purchaser problem," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer;Slovak Society for Operations Research;Hungarian Operational Research Society;Czech Society for Operations Research;Österr. Gesellschaft für Operations Research (ÖGOR);Slovenian Society Informatika - Section for Operational Research;Croatian Operational Research Society, vol. 17(2), pages 141-158, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:4:p:445-455. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.