A Newsvendor's Procurement Problem when Suppliers Are Unreliable
We consider the problem of a newsvendor that is served by multiple suppliers, where any given supplier is defined to be either perfectly reliable or unreliable. By perfectly reliable we mean a supplier that delivers an amount identically equal to the amount desired, as is the case in the most basic variant of the newsvendor problem. By unreliable, we mean a supplier that with some probability delivers an amount strictly less than the amount desired. Our results indicate the following effects of unreliability: From the perspective of the newsvendor, the aggregate quantity ordered is higher than otherwise would be ordered if the newsvendor's suppliers were completely reliable. From the perspective of end customers, however, the service level provided is lower than otherwise would be provided if the newsvendor's suppliers were completely reliable. From the perspective of the suppliers, although reliability affects how much is ordered from a selected supplier, cost generally takes precedence over reliability when it comes to selecting suppliers in the first place. Even perfect reliability is no guarantee for qualification since, in an optimal solution, a given supplier will be selected only if all less-expensive suppliers are selected, regardless of the given supplier's reliability level. Nevertheless, the relative size of a selected supplier's order depends on its reliability.
Volume (Year): 9 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yunzeng Wang & Yigal Gerchak, 1996. "Periodic Review Production Models with Variable Capacity, Random Yield, and Uncertain Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(1), pages 130-137, January.
- Ravi Anupindi & Ram Akella, 1993. "Diversification Under Supply Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(8), pages 944-963, August.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Volodymyr Babich & Apostolos N. Burnetas & Peter H. Ritchken, 2007. "Competition and Diversification Effects in Supply Chains with Supplier Default Risk," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 123-146, October.
- Frank W. Ciarallo & Ramakrishna Akella & Thomas E. Morton, 1994. "A Periodic Review, Production Planning Model with Uncertain Capacity and Uncertain Demand---Optimality of Extended Myopic Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(3), pages 320-332, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormsom:v:9:y:2007:i:1:p:9-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.