A technological, organisational, and environmental analysis of decision making methodologies and satisfaction in the context of IT induced business transformations
Although Operational Research (OR) has successfully provided many methodologies to address complex decision problems, in particular based on the rationality principle, there has been too little discussion regarding their limited consideration in IT evaluation practice and associated decision making satisfaction levels in an organisational context. The aim of this paper is to address these issues through providing a current account of diffusion and infusion of OR methodologies in IT decision making practice, and by analysing factors affecting decision making satisfaction from a Technological, Organisational, and Environmental (TOE) framework in the context of IT induced business transformations. We developed a structural equation model and conducted an empirical survey, which supported four out of five developed research hypotheses. Our results show that while Decision Support Systems (DSSs), holistic IT evaluation methods, and management support seem to positively affect individual satisfaction, legislative regulation has an adverse effect. Results also revealed a persistent methodology diffusion and infusion gap. The paper discusses implications in each of these aspects and presents opportunities for future work.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kunsch, P.L. & Kavathatzopoulos, I. & Rauschmayer, F., 2009. "Modelling complex ethical decision problems with operations research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1100-1108, December.
- Vaidya, Omkarprasad S. & Kumar, Sushil, 2006. "Analytic hierarchy process: An overview of applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 1-29, February.
- Eder, Lauren B. & Igbaria, Magid, 2001. "Determinants of intranet diffusion and infusion," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 233-242, June.
- Gunasekaran, A. & Ngai, E.W.T. & McGaughey, R.E., 2006. "Information technology and systems justification: A review for research and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(3), pages 957-983, September.
- Wei, Chun-Chin & Chien, Chen-Fu & Wang, Mao-Jiun J., 2005. "An AHP-based approach to ERP system selection," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 47-62, April.
- Kevin Zhu & Kenneth L. Kraemer & Sean Xu, 2006. "The Process of Innovation Assimilation by Firms in Different Countries: A Technology Diffusion Perspective on E-Business," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(10), pages 1557-1576, October.
- Karacapilidis, Nikos I. & Pappis, Costas P., 1997. "A framework for group decision support systems: Combining AI tools and OR techniques," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 373-388, December.
- Naresh K. Malhotra & Sung S. Kim & Ashutosh Patil, 2006. "Common Method Variance in IS Research: A Comparison of Alternative Approaches and a Reanalysis of Past Research," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(12), pages 1865-1883, December.
- Sohal, Amrik S. & Fitzpatrick, Paul, 2002. "IT governance and management in large Australian organisations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1-2), pages 97-112, January.
- Su, Yi-fen & Yang, Chyan, 2010. "Why are enterprise resource planning systems indispensable to supply chain management?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 203(1), pages 81-94, May.
- Behzadian, Majid & Kazemzadeh, R.B. & Albadvi, A. & Aghdasi, M., 2010. "PROMETHEE: A comprehensive literature review on methodologies and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 198-215, January.
- Yoram Wind & Thomas L. Saaty, 1980. "Marketing Applications of the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 641-658, July.
- Todd, Peter M., 2007. "How much information do we need?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1317-1332, March.
- Björnsson, Hans & Lundegård, Roger, 1992. "Corporate competitiveness and information technology," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 341-347, September.
- Tsoukias, Alexis, 2008. "From decision theory to decision aiding methodology," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(1), pages 138-161, May.
- Matos, Manuel A., 2007. "Decision under risk as a multicriteria problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(3), pages 1516-1529, September.
- Barthelemy, J. P. & Bisdorff, R. & Coppin, G., 2002. "Human centered processes and decision support systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 233-252, January.
- Mousseau, V. & Figueira, J. & Naux, J. -Ph., 2001. "Using assignment examples to infer weights for ELECTRE TRI method: Some experimental results," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 263-275, April.
- Howick, Susan & Ackermann, Fran, 2011. "Mixing OR methods in practice: Past, present and future directions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(3), pages 503-511, December.
- Mackenzie, Adrian & Pidd, Michael & Rooksby, John & Sommerville, Ian & Warren, Ian & Westcombe, Mark, 2006. "Wisdom, decision support and paradigms of decision making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 156-171, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:224:y:2013:i:1:p:141-153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.