Multi-directional efficiency analysis of efficiency patterns in Chinese banks 1997–2008
DEA-type efficiency studies are often used to investigate levels of efficiencies, differences in those levels between subgroups within a data set and possible determinants of such differences. In the current paper we show how differences in the efficiency patterns between different subgroups within a data set can be investigated using the more recent MEA methodology.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 219 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Matthews, Kent, 2013. "Risk management and managerial efficiency in Chinese banks: A network DEA framework," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 207-215.
- Matthews, Kent, 2010. "Risk Management and Managerial Efficiency in Chinese Banks: A Network DEA Framework," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2010/1, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section, revised Apr 2010.
- Kent Matthews, 2011. "Risk Management and Managerial Efficiency in Chinese Banks: A Network DEA Framework," Working Papers 102011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Matthews, Kent & Guo, Jianguang & Zhang, Nina, 2007. "Rational Inefficiency and non-performing loans in Chinese Banking: A non-parametric Bootstrapping Approach," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2007/5, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J. B., 2003. "Efficiency in Japanese banking: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 891-917, May.
- Yao, Shujie & Han, Zhongwei & Feng, Genfu, 2008. "Ownership Reform, Foreign Competition, and Efficiency of Chinese Commercial Banks: A Non-Parametric Approach," WIDER Working Paper Series 038, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Shujie Yao & Zhongwei Han & Genfu Feng, 2008. "Ownership Reform, Foreign Competition and Efficiency of Chinese Commercial Banks: A Non-parametric Approach," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(10), pages 1310-1326, October.
- Peter Bogetoft & Jens Hougaard, 2003. "Rational Inefficiencies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 243-271, November.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Hougaard, Jens Leth, 2001. "Rational Inefficiencies," Unit of Economics Working papers 24191, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Matthews, Kent & Zhang, Nina (Xu), 2010. "Bank productivity in China 1997-2007: Measurement and convergence," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 617-628, December.
- Denise McEachern & Joseph Paradi, 2007. "Intra- and inter-country bank branch assessment using DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 123-136, April.
- Ariff, Mohamed & Can, Luc, 2008. "Cost and profit efficiency of Chinese banks: A non-parametric analysis," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 260-273, June.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Williams, Barry, 2004. "Foreign bank entry, deregulation and bank efficiency: Lessons from the Australian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1775-1799, July.
- Chen, Xiaogang & Skully, Michael & Brown, Kym, 2005. "Banking efficiency in China: Application of DEA to pre- and post-deregulation eras: 1993-2000," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 229-245.
- Mette Asmild & Jens Hougaard & Dorte Kronborg & Hans Kvist, 2003. "Measuring Inefficiency Via Potential Improvements," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 59-76, January.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-1266, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)