An inventory model for slow moving items subject to obsolescence
In this paper, we consider a continuous review inventory system of a slow moving item for which the demand rate drops to a lower level at a known future time instance. The inventory system is controlled according to a one-for-one replenishment policy with a fixed lead time. Adapting to lower demand is achieved by changing the control policy in advance and letting the demand take away the excess stocks. We show that the timing of the control policy change primarily determines the tradeoff between backordering penalties and obsolescence costs. We propose an approximate solution for the optimal time to shift to the new control policy minimizing the expected total cost during the transient period. We find that the advance policy change results in significant cost savings and the approximation yields near optimal expected total costs.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George W. Brown & John Y. Lu & Robert J. Wolfson, 1964. "Dynamic Modeling of Inventories Subject to Obsolescence," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(1), pages 51-63, September.
- Teunter, Ruud H. & Klein Haneveld, Willem K., 2002. "Inventory control of service parts in the final phase," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(3), pages 497-511, March.
- G. Hadley & T. M. Whitin, 1962. "A Family of Dynamic Inventory Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(4), pages 458-469, July.
- Teunter, Ruud H. & Fortuin, Leonard, 1999. "End-of-life service," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 487-497, March.
- Anthony Hart, 1973. "Determination of Excess Stock Quantities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(12), pages 1444-1451, August.
- Teunter, Ruud H. & Klein Haneveld, Willem K., 2002. "Inventory control of service parts in the final phase: A central depot and repair kits," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 76-86, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:213:y:2011:i:1:p:83-95. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.