The design of robust value-creating supply chain networks: A critical review
This paper discusses Supply Chain Network (SCN) design problem under uncertainty, and presents a critical review of the optimization models proposed in the literature. Some drawbacks and missing aspects in the literature are pointed out, thus motivating the development of a comprehensive SCN design methodology. Through an analysis of supply chains uncertainty sources and risk exposures, the paper reviews key random environmental factors and discusses the nature of major disruptive events threatening SCN. It also discusses relevant strategic SCN design evaluation criteria, and it reviews their use in existing models. We argue for the assessment of SCN robustness as a necessary condition to ensure sustainable value creation. Several definitions of robustness, responsiveness and resilience are reviewed, and the importance of these concepts for SCN design is discussed. This paper contributes to framing the foundations for a robust SCN design methodology.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goetschalckx, Marc & Vidal, Carlos J. & Dogan, Koray, 2002. "Modeling and design of global logistics systems: A review of integrated strategic and tactical models and design algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 1-18, November.
- Klose, Andreas & Drexl, Andreas, 2005. "Facility location models for distribution system design," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 4-29, April.
- Brian Tomlin, 2006. "On the Value of Mitigation and Contingency Strategies for Managing Supply Chain Disruption Risks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(5), pages 639-657, May.
- Hodder, James E. & Jucker, James V., 1985. "International plant location under price and exchange rate uncertainty," Engineering Costs and Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-3), pages 225-229, April.
- Kjetil Høyland & Stein W. Wallace, 2001. "Generating Scenario Trees for Multistage Decision Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 295-307, February.
- A. M. Geoffrion & G. W. Graves, 1974. "Multicommodity Distribution System Design by Benders Decomposition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(5), pages 822-844, January.
- Robert J. Lempert & David G. Groves & Steven W. Popper & Steve C. Bankes, 2006. "A General, Analytic Method for Generating Robust Strategies and Narrative Scenarios," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(4), pages 514-528, April.
- R. K. Ahuja & J. B. Orlin & S. Pallottino & M. P. Scaparra & M. G. Scutellà, 2004. "A Multi-Exchange Heuristic for the Single-Source Capacitated Facility Location Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(6), pages 749-760, June.
- Stephen C. Graves & Brian T. Tomlin, 2003. "Process Flexibility in Supply Chains," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(7), pages 907-919, July.
- Kevin B. Hendricks & Vinod R. Singhal, 2005. "Association Between Supply Chain Glitches and Operating Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 695-711, May.
- Owen, Susan Hesse & Daskin, Mark S., 1998. "Strategic facility location: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 423-447, December.
- Yossi Sheffi, 2005. "The Resilient Enterprise: Overcoming Vulnerability for Competitive Advantage," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262693496, July.
- Santoso, Tjendera & Ahmed, Shabbir & Goetschalckx, Marc & Shapiro, Alexander, 2005. "A stochastic programming approach for supply chain network design under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 96-115, November.
- ReVelle, C.S. & Eiselt, H.A. & Daskin, M.S., 2008. "A bibliography for some fundamental problem categories in discrete location science," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(3), pages 817-848, February.
- Ambrosino, Daniela & Grazia Scutella, Maria, 2005. "Distribution network design: New problems and related models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(3), pages 610-624, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:203:y:2010:i:2:p:283-293. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.