Estimating suppressed data in regional economic databases: A goal-programming approach
To avoid disclosure of individual establishment information, data records may have to be suppressed in regional economic databases, with values represented by flags. This paper investigates this suppression process and presents a goal-programming optimization approach to estimate these flagged data, using the 2000 County Business Patterns (CBP) database as a case study. The approach minimizes the sum of weighted deviations between the estimates and target values, subject to constraints related to county and sector total employment, as well as to flag and establishment size intervals. The model is tested using Ohio and Arizona data, for both sources of inconsistencies and parameter selection. A decision-theoretic analysis of the test results points to specific strategies that yield the best estimates of the suppressed data.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ellison, Glenn & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997.
"Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 889-927, October.
- Ellison, G. & Glaeser, E.L., 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Working papers 94-27, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," NBER Working Papers 4840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerald Carlino & Satyajit Chatterjee, 2002.
"Employment Deconcentration: A New Perspective on America's Postwar Urban Evolution,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 445-475.
- Gerald Carlino & Satyajit Chatterjee, 2001. "Employment deconcentration: a new perspective on America's postwar urban evolution," Working Papers 01-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Henderson, Vernon, 1997.
"Externalities and Industrial Development,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 449-470, November.
- Matteo Fischetti & Juan José Salazar, 2001. "Solving the Cell Suppression Problem on Tabular Data with Linear Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(7), pages 1008-1027, July.
- Salazar-Gonzalez, Juan-Jose, 2004. "Mathematical models for applying cell suppression methodology in statistical data protection," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(3), pages 740-754, May.
- Angelos Pagoulatos & Stephan J. Goetz & David L. Debertin & Tulin Johannson, 2004. "Interactions Between Economic Growth and Environmental Quality in U.S. Counties," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1), pages 90-108.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:2:p:521-537. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.