Estimating cointegrated systems using subspace algorithms
In this paper the properties of so called subspace methods in the context of cointegrated processes of order one are investigated. It is shown that the algorithms deliver consistent estimates of the transfer function in the case of general VARMA models and under mild conditions on the underlying noise process. A procedure for the estimation of the dimension of the cointegrating space is presented and consistency for this procedure is proven. Also the estimation of the order of the system is discussed. Simulation examples demon- strate the usefulness of the subspace algorithms for the estimation of cointegrated systems.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Dietmar & Wagner, Martin, 2002.
"Estimating cointegrated systems using subspace algorithms,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 47-84, November.
- Dietmar Bauer & Martin Wagner, 2000. "Estimating Cointegrated Systems Using Subspace Algorithms," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0293, Econometric Society.
- Wagner, Martin, 1999. "Bierens' and Johansen's Method - Complements or Substitutes?," Economics Series 74, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Phillips, P C B, 1991. "Optimal Inference in Cointegrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 283-306, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1988. "Optimal Inference in Cointegrated Systems," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 866R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Aug 1989.
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1995. "Fully Modified Least Squares and Vector Autoregression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1023-1078, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1993. "Fully Modified Least Squares and Vector Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1047, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Poskitt, Don S, 2000. "Strongly Consistent Determination of Cointegrating Rank via Canonical Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 77-90, January.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 1992. "Estimation and Testing of Cointegrated Systems by an Autoregressive Approximation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 1-27, March.
- Lai, T. L. & Wei, C. Z., 1982. "Asymptotic properties of projections with applications to stochastic regression problems," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 346-370, September.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:8:y:1992:i:1:p:1-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wagner, Martin, 1999. "VAR Cointegration in VARMA Models," Economics Series 65, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Victor Solo, 1989. "Asymptotics for Linear Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 932, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Luukkonen, Ritva, 1997. "Testing cointegration in infinite order vector autoregressive processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 93-126, November.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 1997. "Impulse response analysis in infinite order cointegrated vector autoregressive processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 127-157, November.
- H. Lütkepohl & P. Saikkonen, 1995. "Impulse Response Analysis in Infinite Order Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,11, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1997. "Nonparametric cointegration analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 379-404, April.
- Bierens, H.J., 1995. "Nonparametric cointegration analysis," Discussion Paper 1995-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:111:y:2002:i:1:p:47-84. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.