Spurious persistence in stochastic volatility
We show that structural changes in stochastic volatility models induce spurious persistence. Other than in GARCH-type models, implied persistence does not tend to unity with given size of the structural change and increasing sample size.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. "Persistence in Variance, Structural Change, and the GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 225-34, April.
- Thomas Mikosch & Cătălin Stărică, 2004. "Nonstationarities in Financial Time Series, the Long-Range Dependence, and the IGARCH Effects," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 378-390, February.
- Zacharias Psaradakis & Elias Tzavalis, 1999. "On regression-based tests for persistence in logarithmic volatility models," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 441-448.
- Prof. Dr. Walter Krämer & Baudouin Tameze Azamo, .
"Structural change and estimated persistence in the GARCH(1,1)-model,"
5, Business and Social Statistics Department, Technische Universität Dortmund, revised May 2006.
- Kramer, Walter & Azamo, Baudouin Tameze, 2007. "Structural change and estimated persistence in the GARCH(1,1)-model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 17-23, October.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Shephard, Neil, 1994.
"Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 247-64, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate multivariate stochastic volatility models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00093, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hillebrand, Eric, 2005. "Neglecting parameter changes in GARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 121-138.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:121:y:2013:i:2:p:221-223. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.