Estimation of a local-aggregate network model with sampled networks
This work considers the estimation of a network model with sampled networks. Chandrasekhar and Lewis (2011) show that the estimation with sampled networks could be biased due to measurement error induced by sampling and propose a bias correction by restricting the estimation to sampled nodes to avoid measurement error in the regressors. However, measurement error may still exist in the instruments and thus induce the weak instrument problem when the sampling rate is low. For a local-aggregate model, we show that the instrument based on the outdegrees of sampled nodes is free of measurement error and thus remains informative even if the sampling rate is low. Simulation studies suggest that the 2SLS estimator with the proposed instrument works well when the sampling rate is low and the other instruments are weak.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yann Bramoullé & Habiba Djebbari & Bernard Fortin, 2007.
"Identification of Peer Effects through Social Networks,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Bramoullé, Yann & Djebbari, Habiba & Fortin, Bernard, 2009. "Identification of peer effects through social networks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 41-55, May.
- Bramoullé, Yann & Djebbari, Habiba & Fortin, Bernard, 2007. "Identification of Peer Effects through Social Networks," IZA Discussion Papers 2652, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Liu, Xiaodong & Lee, Lung-fei, 2010. "GMM estimation of social interaction models with centrality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 99-115, November.
- Abhijit Banerjee & Arun G. Chandrasekhar & Esther Duflo & Matthew O. Jackson, 2012.
"The Diffusion of Microfinance,"
NBER Working Papers
17743, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles F. Manski, 1993. "Identification of Endogenous Social Effects: The Reflection Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 531-542.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:118:y:2013:i:1:p:243-246. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.