Population aging and sectoral employment shares
This paper theoretically investigates the effect of population aging on the employment share of an elder care service industry. We show that there exists the threshold level of income elasticity of demand for the elder care service, above which population aging spurs economic growth. In a closed economy, the threshold level is unity, whereas it exceeds unity in a small open economy.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997.
"Beyong Balanced Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001. "Beyond Balanced Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," NBER Working Papers 6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:oup:restud:v:68:y:2001:i:4:p:869-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bas van Groezen & Lex Meijdam & Harrie A. A. Verbon, 2005. "Serving the old: ageing and economic growth," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(4), pages 647-663, October.
- Akira Yakita, 2001. "Uncertain lifetime, fertility and social security," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 635-640.
- Rie Fujisawa & Francesca Colombo, 2009. "The Long-Term Care Workforce: Overview and Strategies to Adapt Supply to a Growing Demand," OECD Health Working Papers 44, OECD Publishing.
- Ken-ichi Hashimoto & Ken Tabata, 2010. "Population aging, health care, and growth," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 571-593, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:115:y:2012:i:3:p:527-530. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.