Inequality and development: Evidence from semiparametric estimation with panel data
Evidences from nonparametric and semiparametric unbalanced panel data models with fixed effects show that Kuznet’s inverted-U relationship is confirmed when economic development reaches a threshold. The model tests justify semiparametric specification. The integrated net contribution of control variables to inequality reduction is significant.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Ho-Chuan (River) & Lin, Yi-Chen & Yeh, Chih-Chuan, 2009. "Joint determinations of inequality and growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 163-166, June.
- Garbis Iradian, 2005. "Inequality, Poverty, and Growth; Cross-Country Evidence," IMF Working Papers 05/28, .
- Li, Hongyi & Squire, Lyn & Zou, Heng-fu, 1998.
"Explaining International and Intertemporal Variations in Income Inequality,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(446), pages 26-43, January.
- Hongyi Li & Lyn Squire & Heng-fu Zou, 1998. "Explaining International and Intertemporal Variations in Income Inequality," CEMA Working Papers 73, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Huang, Ho-Chuan River, 2004. "A flexible nonlinear inference to the Kuznets hypothesis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 289-296, August.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Carroll, Raymond J. & Li, Qi, 2008. "Nonparametric estimation and testing of fixed effects panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 257-275, May.
- Chen, Been-Lon, 2003. "An inverted-U relationship between inequality and long-run growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 205-212, February.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. "Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- David Mushinski, 2001. "Using non-parametrics to inform parametric tests of Kuznets' hypothesis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 77-79.
- Lin, Shu-Chin & (River) Huang, Ho-Chuan & Weng, Hsiao-Wen, 2006. "A semi-parametric partially linear investigation of the Kuznets' hypothesis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 634-647, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)