Discoveries of fakes: Their impact on the art market
This paper shows that before (after) fakes’ discoveries, artworks are less (more) likely to be sold through Sotheby’s or Christie’s. Prices only react negatively with a lag, suggesting that sellers try to postpone their sales as long as possible.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor Ginsburgh & David Throsby, 2006.
"Handbook of the Eonomics of Art and Culture,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/152412, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Luc Renneboog & Christophe Spaenjers, 2013.
"Buying Beauty: On Prices and Returns in the Art Market,"
INFORMS, vol. 59(1), pages 36-53, February.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Spaenjers, C., 2009. "Buying Beauty : On Prices and Returns in the Art Market," Discussion Paper 2009-15, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Jianping Mei & Michael Moses, 2006. "On the computation of art indices in art," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7290, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Collins, Alan & Scorcu, Antonello & Zanola, Roberto, 2009. "Reconsidering hedonic art price indexes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 57-60, August.
- Ginsburgh, Victor & Mei, Jianping & Moses, Michael, 2006. "The Computation of Prices Indices," Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture, Elsevier.
- Ott Toomet & Arne Henningsen, . "Sample Selection Models in R: Package sampleSelection," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(i07).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:113:y:2011:i:2:p:124-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.