Recognizing progeny in the value of life
This note generalizes the value of life to incorporate the preferences for descendants of a dynastically altruistic decision-maker. It derives the value of progeny and shows how it depends on the Benthamite vs. Millian nature of dynastic altruism.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1988.
" The Value of Changes in Life Expectancy,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 285-304, September.
- Sherwin Rosen, . "The Value of Changes in Life Expectancy," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 87-14, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Gary Becker & Kevin Murphy & Tomas Philipson, 2007.
"The Value of Life Near its End and Terminal Care,"
NBER Working Papers
13333, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ashenfelter, Orley, 2006.
"Measuring the Value of a Statistical Life: Problems and Prospects,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1911, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Orley Ashenfelter, 2006. "Measuring the Value of a Statistical Life: Problems and Prospects," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(510), pages C10-C23, 03.
- Orley Ashenfelter, 2006. "Measuring the Value of a Statistical Life: Problems and Prospects," NBER Working Papers 11916, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orley Ashenfelter, 2005. "Measuring the Value of a Statistical Life: Problems and Prospects," Working Papers 884, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Canton, E.J.F. & Meijdam, A.C., 1997.
"Altruism and the macroeconomic effects of demographic changes,"
Other publications TiSEM
b843d800-b8b9-4e98-b9c8-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Erik Canton & Lex Meijdam, 1997. "Altruism and the macroeconomic effects of demographic changes," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 317-334.
- repec:reg:rpubli:132 is not listed on IDEAS
- Partha Dasgupta, 1995. "The Population Problem: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1879-1902, December.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- Robert J. Barro & Gary S. Becker, .
"Fertility Choice in a Model of Economic Growth,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
88-8, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521532587 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ehrlich, Isaac, 2000. "Uncertain lifetime, life protection, and the value of life saving," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 341-367, May.
- Kenneth J. Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "The genuine savings criterion and the value of population," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 217-225, 03.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 2005.
"The value of life and the rise in health spending,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Murray, Christopher J. L. & Acharya, Arnab K., 1997. "Understanding DALYs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 703-730, December.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1995. "Population Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262181606, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521825511 is not listed on IDEAS
- Donald S. Shepard & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1984. "Survival versus Consumption," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(4), pages 423-439, April.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Chuma, Hiroyuki, 1990. "A Model of the Demand for Longevity and the Value of Life Extension," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(4), pages 761-82, August.
- Basu, Anirban & Meltzer, David, 2005. "Implications of spillover effects within the family for medical cost-effectiveness analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 751-773, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:107:y:2010:i:1:p:17-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.