Constant per capita consumption paths with exhaustible resources and decaying produced capital
We introduce decay in produced capital and exogenous technical progress to the recent "Solow Model" of Asheim et al. with population growth and observe the possible collapse of the economy given too high a rate of decay. "Enough" technical progress can restore sustainable per capita consumption.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Hartwick, 1976.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-74, December.
- Asheim, Geir B. & Buchholz, Wolfgang & Hartwick, John M. & Mitra, Tapan & Withagen, Cees, 2007.
"Constant savings rates and quasi-arithmetic population growth under exhaustible resource constraints,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 213-229, March.
- Geir B. Asheim & Wolfgang Buchholz & John M. Hartwick & Tapan Mitra & Cees A. Withagen, 2005. "Constant Savings Rates and Quasi-Arithmetic Population Growth under Exhaustible Resource Constraints," CESifo Working Paper Series 1573, CESifo Group Munich.
- Asheim, Geir B. & Buchholz, Wolfgang & Hartwick, John M. & Mitra, Tapan & Withagen, Cees, 2005. "Constant savings rates and quasi-arithmetic population growth under exhaustible resource constraints," Memorandum 23/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Mitra, Tapan, 1983. "Limits on Population Growth under Exhaustible Resource Constraints," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(1), pages 155-68, February.
- Mitra, Tapan, 2007.
"On Competitive Equitable Paths under Exhaustible Resource Constraints: The Case of a Growing Population,"
07-05, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Tapan Mitra, 2008. "On competitive equitable paths under exhaustible resource constraints: The case of a growing population," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 4(1), pages 53-76.
- Cairns, Robert D. & Long, Ngo Van, 2006. "Maximin: a direct approach to sustainability," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 275-300, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:68:y:2009:i:12:p:2969-2973. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.