On R&D information sharing and merger
The paper deals with the interaction of sharing cost information and merger in a Cournot duopoly. We show that an innovating firm would share information about the cost realization with its rival provided the market size is relatively small or, the R&D technology is relatively more efficient in a medium market size. However, in a large market, or in a medium market size with less efficient R&D technology, the innovating firm does not share information with its rival. In equilibrium whether information sharing occurs or not, merger is always formed. We find that the social welfare may be higher under incomplete information regime. We also establish the role of trade association in facilitating merger through information exchange.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Markusen & Frank Stähler, 2011.
"Endogenous market structure and foreign market entry,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 147(2), pages 195-215, June.
- Markusen, James R. & Stähler, Frank, 2009. "Endogenous Market Structure and Foreign Market Entry," CEPR Discussion Papers 7567, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James R. Markusen & Frank Stähler, 2009. "Endogenous Market Structure and Foreign Market Entry," NBER Working Papers 15530, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Uday Bhanu Sinha, 2010.
"On R&D Information Sharing and Merger,"
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Lars, 1999.
"The Equilibrium Ownership of an International Oligopoly,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2302, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Lars, 2001. "The equilibrium ownership of an international oligopoly," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 307-333, April.
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Lars, 1999. "The Equilibrium Ownership of an International Oligopoly," Working Paper Series 515, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- William Novshek & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1982. "Fulfilled Expectations Cournot Duopoly with Information Acquisition and Release," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(1), pages 214-218, Spring.
- Vives, X., 1988.
"Information And Competitive Advantage,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
100-88, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Carl Shapiro, 1986. "Exchange of Cost Information in Oligopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 433-446.
- Esther Gal-or, 1986. "Information Transmission—Cournot and Bertrand Equilibria," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 85-92.
- Jensen, Richard, 1993. "Sharing Cost Information: A Counterexample," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 3(3), pages 589-592, July.
- Lode Li, 1985.
"Cournot Oligopoly with Information Sharing,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(4), pages 521-536, Winter.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Saggi, Kamal, 2004.
"Mode of foreign entry, technology transfer, and FDI policy,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 95-111, October.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Saggi, Kamal, 2001. "Mode of Foreign Entry, Technology Transfer, and FDI Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2870, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Esther Gal-Or, 1987. "First Mover Disadvantages with Private Information," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(2), pages 279-292.
- Stenbacka, L. Rune, 1991. "Mergers and investments in cost reduction with private information," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 397-405, September.
- Stephen W. Salant & Sheldon Switzer & Robert J. Reynolds, 1983. "Losses From Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-199.
- Persson, Lars & Norbäck, Pehr-Johan, 2001.
"Privatization and Foreign Competition,"
Working Paper Series
545, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 02 Feb 2001.
- Larry D. Qiu & Shengzu Wang, 2011. "FDI Policy, Greenfield Investment and Cross‐border Mergers," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(5), pages 836-851, November.
- Eicher, Theo & Kang, Jong Woo, 2005.
"Trade, foreign direct investment or acquisition: Optimal entry modes for multinationals,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 207-228, June.
- Theo Eicher & Jong Woo Kang, 2004. "Trade, Foreign Direct Investment or Acquisition: Optimal Entry Modes for Multinationals," CESifo Working Paper Series 1174, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kit Pong Wong & Tse, Maurice K. S., 1997. "Mergers and investments in cost reduction with private information revisited," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 629-634, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:32:y:2013:i:c:p:369-376. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.