Asset allocation under stochastic interest rate with regime switching
We investigate an optimal asset allocation problem in a Markovian regime-switching financial market with stochastic interest rate. The market has three investment opportunities, namely, a bank account, a share and a zero-coupon bond, where stochastic movements of the short rate and the share price are governed by a Markovian regime-switching Vasicek model and a Markovian regime-switching Geometric Brownian motion, respectively. We discuss the optimal asset allocation problem using the dynamic programming approach for stochastic optimal control and derive a regime-switching Hamilton–Jacobi–Bellman (HJB) equation. Particular attention is paid to the exponential utility case. Numerical and sensitivity analysis are provided for this case. The numerical results reveal that regime-switches described by a two-state Markov chain have significant impacts on the optimal investment strategies in the share and the bond. Furthermore, the market prices of risk in both the bond and share markets are crucial factors in determining the optimal investment strategies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Elliott & Tak Kuen Siu, 2009. "On Markov-modulated Exponential-affine Bond Price Formulae," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Tao Pang, 2006. "Stochastic Portfolio Optimization With Log Utility," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(06), pages 869-887.
- Jérˆme Detemple & Marcel Rindisbacher, 2005. "Closed-Form Solutions For Optimal Portfolio Selection With Stochastic Interest Rate And Investment Constraints," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 539-568.
- Robert J. Elliott & John van der Hoek, 2001. "Stochastic flows and the forward measure," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 511-525.
- Lioui, Abraham & Poncet, Patrice, 2001. "On optimal portfolio choice under stochastic interest rates," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 1841-1865, November.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Jun Liu, 2007. "Portfolio Selection in Stochastic Environments," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(1), pages 1-39, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:29:y:2012:i:4:p:1126-1136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.