Technical efficiency in the Chinese banking sector
This paper applies an innovative DEA (Data Envelopment Analysis) model, the Inverse -convex model, in order to investigate the technical efficiency of a representative sample of Chinese banks. The banks are ranked according to their efficiency over the period 1998-2008. The results paint a mixed picture of the Chinese banks' performance. The influence of firm size and ownership on bank efficiency is not observed. However, the study shows that overall efficiency improved over time, especially after the entry of China into the WTO. Policy implications are derived.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Laurenceson & Zhao Yong, "undated". "Efficiency Amongst China’s Banks:A DEA Analysis Five Years after WTO Entry," EAERG Discussion Paper Series 1605, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Zhou, Mingming, 2009. "Bank ownership and efficiency in China: What will happen in the world's largest nation?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 113-130, January.
- Bonin, John P. & Huang, Yiping, 2001.
"Dealing with the bad loans of the Chinese banks,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 197-214.
- John P. Bonin & Yiping Huang, 2001. "Dealing with the Bad Loans of the Chinese Banks," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 357, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Sergio Gavilá & Daniel Santabárbara, 2006. "China's Banking Reform: An Assessment of its Evolution and Possible Impact," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 52(2), pages 304-363, June.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Sergio Gavila & Daniel Santabarbara, 2005. "China’s banking reform: An assessment of its evolution and possible impact," Finance 0508010, EconWPA.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Sergio Gavilá & Daniel Santabárbara, 2005. "China's banking reform: An assessment of its evolution and possible impact," Occasional Papers 0502, Banco de España;Occasional Papers Homepage.
- Altunbas, Yener & Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John, 1997. "Big-Bank Mergers in Europe: An Analysis of the Cost Implications," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 317-329, May.
- John Whalley, 2003. "Liberalization in China's Key Service Sectors Following WTO Accession: Some Scenarios and Issues of Measurement," NBER Working Papers 10143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- García-Herrero, Alicia & Gavilá, Sergio & Santabárbara, Daniel, 2009. "What explains the low profitability of Chinese banks?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2080-2092, November.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Sergio Gavilá & Daniel Santabárbara, 2009. "What explains the low profitability of Chinese banks?," Working Papers 0910, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Daniel Santabarbara & Sergio Gavila, 2009. "What explains the low profitability of Chinese banks?," Working Papers 0909, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Jiang, Chunxia & Yao, Shujie & Zhang, Zongyi, 2009. "The effects of governance changes on bank efficiency in China: A stochastic distance function approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 717-731, December.
- Shujie Yao & Chunxia Jiang, "undated". "The effects of governance changes on bank efficiency in China: A stochastic distance function approach," Discussion Papers 07/19, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Tulkens, Henry & Vanden Eeckaut, Philippe, 1995. "Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 474-499, February.
- Tulkens, H. & Vanden Eeckaut, P., "undated". "Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1132, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- TULKENS, Henry & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1993. "Non-Parametric Efficiency, Progress and Regress Measures for Panel Data : Methodological Aspects," CORE Discussion Papers 1993016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ariff, Mohamed & Can, Luc, 2008. "Cost and profit efficiency of Chinese banks: A non-parametric analysis," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 260-273, June.
- Tarun Khanna & Krishna Palepu, 2000. "Is Group Affiliation Profitable in Emerging Markets? An Analysis of Diversified Indian Business Groups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 867-891, April.
- Alvarez, Roberto & Crespi, Gustavo, 2003. "Determinants of Technical Efficiency in Small Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 233-244, May.
- Antonio Alvarez & Carlos Arias, 2003. "Diseconomies of Size with Fixed Managerial Ability," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 134-142.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj & Khanna, Tarun, 1998. "The Nature of Diversified Business Groups: A Research Design and Two Case Studies," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 35-61, March.
- Fu, Xiaoqing (Maggie) & Heffernan, Shelagh, 2009. "The effects of reform on China's bank structure and performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 39-52, January.
- Lin, Xiaochi & Zhang, Yi, 2009. "Bank ownership reform and bank performance in China," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 20-29, January.
- Richard Podpiera, 2006. "Progress in China’s Banking Sector Reform; Has Bank Behavior Changed?," IMF Working Papers 06/71, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)