Distance measures between free trade and autarky for the world economy
We develop a methodology to determine numerically how globalized the world economy is. We present a global general equilibrium model capturing major OECD economies and a residual rest of world for which alternative metrics of distance between observed, free trade and autarky equilibria can be developed. We use data for 2000 and report a number of distance measures between the 2000 observed trade restricted equilibrium and both free trade and autarky equilibria noting the absence of prior literature on metrics of distance between equilibria. The measures are used to determine the degree to which the world economy is globalized.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1990.
"The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521388702, December.
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1985. "The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521265140, November.
- Kehoe, Timothy J., 1991. "Computation and multiplicity of equilibria," Handbook of Mathematical Economics,in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 38, pages 2049-2144 Elsevier.
- Timothy J. Kehoe, 1990. "Computation and Multiplicity of Equilibria," Discussion Paper Serie A 309, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Timothy J. Kehoe, 1991. "Computation and multiplicity of equilibria," Working Papers 460, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Lisandro Abrego & John Whalley, 2003. "Goods market responses to trade shocks and trade and wages decompositions," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 747-757, August.
- Raymond G. Riezman & John Whalley & Shunming Zhang, 2013. "Metrics capturing the degree to which individual economies are globalized," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(36), pages 5046-5061, December.
- Raymond Riezman & John Whalley & Shunming Zhang, 2005. "Metrics Capturing the Degree to which Individual Economies are Globalized," CESifo Working Paper Series 1450, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raymond Riezman & John Whalley & Shunming Zhang, 2008. "Metrics Capturing the Degree to Which Individual Economies Are Globalized," University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers 20085, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992. "Applying General Equilibrium," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521266550, November.