Compensation measures for alliance formation: A real options analysis
This paper presents a real options model of alliance formation between two firms for entry into a new market. We analyze how different compensation measures affect the alliance timing and option values. Generally, when profit structures of the two firms before and after an alliance are different, their individually optimal alliance timings do not coincide. Therefore, achieving an agreement on a common alliance timing becomes an important issue. To promote alliance formation, we examine two feasible compensation measures provided by one firm to the other: share adjustment (flow compensation) and subsidy (lump-sum compensation). We find that subsidy induces an earlier alliance, although share adjustment is Pareto optimal in terms of the joint option value.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitchell, Will & Singh, Kulwant, 1992. "Incumbents' use of pre-entry alliances before expansion into new technical subfields of an industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 347-372, August.
- Michel A. Habib & Pierre Mella-Barral, 2007. "The Role of Knowhow Acquisition in the Formation and Duration of Joint Ventures," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(1), pages 189-233, January.
- Miao, Jianjun & Wang, Neng, 2007.
"Investment, consumption, and hedging under incomplete markets,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 608-642, December.
- Junjian Miao & Neng Wang, 2005. "Investment, Consumption and Hedging under Incomplete Markets," Boston University - Department of Economics - Macroeconomics Working Papers Series WP2005-011, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised Sep 2006.
- Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2006. "Investment, consumption and hedging under incomplete markets," 2006 Meeting Papers 289, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2007. "Investment, Consumption, and Hedging under Incomplete Markets," NBER Working Papers 13250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2006. "Investment, Consumption, and Hedging under Incomplete Markets," CEMA Working Papers 459, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Thijssen, Jacco J.J., 2008. "Optimal and strategic timing of mergers and acquisitions motivated by synergies and risk diversification," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1701-1720, May.
- Robert McDonald & Daniel Siegel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-727.
- Yu, Chia-Feng & Chang, Ta-Cheng & Fan, Chinn-Ping, 2007. "FDI timing: Entry cost subsidy versus tax rate reduction," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 262-271, March.
- Morellec, Erwan & Zhdanov, Alexei, 2005. "The dynamics of mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 649-672, September.
- Mathews, Richmond D., 2006. "Strategic alliances, equity stakes, and entry deterrence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 35-79, April.
- Pierre Mella-Barral & M. A. Habib, 2007. "The Role of Knowhow Acquisition in the Formation and Duration of Joint Ventures," Post-Print halshs-00126775, HAL.
- Contractor, Farok J. & Ra, Wonchan, 2000. "Negotiating alliance contracts: Strategy and behavioral effects of alternative compensation arrangements," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 271-299, June.
- Zhinqi Chen & Thomas W. Ross, 2000. "Strategic Alliances, Shared Facilities, and Entry Deterrence," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(2), pages 326-344, Summer.
- Lambrecht, Bart M., 2004. "The timing and terms of mergers motivated by economies of scale," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 41-62, April.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Investment under Uncertainty," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 5474, 06-2016.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:28:y:2011:i:1:p:219-228. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.