Classification in segmented regression problems
Heterogeneity in many datasets stems from the different behaviors of several underlying groups or subpopulations. The aim of this paper is to classify observations in such a dataset into these latent groups when each group's behavior is piecewise linearly related to a set of covariates. We assume that each group can be represented by a segmented regression model, but the group membership for each observation is unobserved or lost. A full Bayesian approach is proposed to simultaneously classify observations and estimate segmented regression parameters. The estimated marginal likelihood and the Deviance Information Criterion are used to select the number of mixture groups. We demonstrate the accuracy and performance of the proposed MCMC estimators in a simulation study and illustrate the methodology in an empirical study.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wayne DeSarbo & William Cron, 1988. "A maximum likelihood methodology for clusterwise linear regression," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 249-282, September.
- Chen, Cathy W.S. & So, Mike K.P., 2006. "On a threshold heteroscedastic model," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 73-89.
- Michel Wedel & Wayne DeSarbo, 1995. "A mixture likelihood approach for generalized linear models," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 21-55, March.
- Albert, James H & Chib, Siddhartha, 1993. "Bayes Inference via Gibbs Sampling of Autoregressive Time Series Subject to Markov Mean and Variance Shifts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Ram C. Tiwari & Kathleen A. Cronin & William Davis & Eric J. Feuer & Binbing Yu & Siddhartha Chib, 2005. "Bayesian model selection for join point regression with application to age-adjusted cancer rates," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 54(5), pages 919-939.
- Chib S. & Jeliazkov I., 2001. "Marginal Likelihood From the Metropolis-Hastings Output," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 270-281, March.
- Cathy W. S. Chen & Mike K. P. So & Ming-Tien Chen, 2005. "A Bayesian threshold nonlinearity test for financial time series," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(1), pages 61-75.
- Chib, Siddhartha, 1998. "Estimation and comparison of multiple change-point models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 221-241, June.
- Friedrich Leisch, . "FlexMix: A General Framework for Finite Mixture Models and Latent Class Regression in R," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(i08).
- David J. Spiegelhalter & Nicola G. Best & Bradley P. Carlin & Angelika van der Linde, 2002. "Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(4), pages 583-639.
- Lee, Chung-Bow, 1998. "Bayesian analysis of a change-point in exponential families with applications," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 195-208, April.
- Cheon, Sooyoung & Kim, Jaehee, 2010. "Multiple change-point detection of multivariate mean vectors with the Bayesian approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 406-415, February.
- Chib, Siddhartha, 1996. "Calculating posterior distributions and modal estimates in Markov mixture models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 79-97, November.
- Jushan Bai, 1997. "Estimation Of A Change Point In Multiple Regression Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 551-563, November.
- Gary Koop & Simon M. Potter, 2007. "Estimation and Forecasting in Models with Multiple Breaks," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(3), pages 763-789.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:7:p:2276-2287. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.