Why are shareholders not paid to give up their voting privileges? Unique evidence from Italy
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Ingolf Dittmann & Niels Ulbricht, 2008. "Timing and Wealth Effects of German Dual Class Stock Unifications," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 14(1), pages 163-196.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1988.
"One share-one vote and the market for corporate control,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 175-202, January.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Oliver D. Hart, 1987. "One Share/One Vote and the Market for Corporate Control," NBER Working Papers 2347, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Oliver D. Hart, 1987. "One Share/One Vote and The Market for Corporate Control," Working papers 440, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jarrell, Gregg A. & Poulsen, Annette B., 1988. "Dual-class recapitalizations as antitakeover mechanisms : The recent evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 129-152, January.
- Partch, M. Megan, 1987. "The creation of a class of limited voting common stock and shareholder wealth," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 313-339, June.
- Dhillon, Upinder & Johnson, Herb, 1991. "Changes in the Standard and Poor's 500 List," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(1), pages 75-85, January.
- Lucian A. Bebchuk & Reinier Kraakman & George Triantis, 2000. "Stock Pyramids, Cross-Ownership, and Dual Class Equity: The Mechanisms and Agency Costs of Separating Control from Cash-Flow Rights," NBER Chapters,in: Concentrated Corporate Ownership, pages 295-318 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Dyck & Luigi Zingales, 2004.
"Private Benefits of Control: An International Comparison,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 537-600, April.
- Dyck, Alexander & Zingales, Luigi, 2002. "Private Benefits of Control: An International Comparison," CEPR Discussion Papers 3177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alexander Dyck & Luigi Zingales, 2002. "Private Benefits of Control: An International Comparison," NBER Working Papers 8711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1988. "Corporate governance : Voting rights and majority rules," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 203-235, January.
- Shmuel Hauser, 2004. "The Value of Voting Rights to Majority Shareholders: Evidence from Dual-Class Stock Unifications," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(4), pages 1167-1184.
- Pajuste, Anete, 2005. "Determinants and consequences of the unification of dual-class shares," Working Paper Series 465, European Central Bank.
- Lauterbach, Beni & Yafeh, Yishay, 2011. "Long term changes in voting power and control structure following the unification of dual class shares," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 215-228, April.
- Cheung, Yan-Leung & Rau, P. Raghavendra & Stouraitis, Aris, 2006.
"Tunneling, propping, and expropriation: evidence from connected party transactions in Hong Kong,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 343-386, November.
- Yan-leung Cheung & P. Raghavendra Rau & Aris Stouraitis, 2004. "Tunneling, Propping and Expropriation Evidence from Connected arty Transactions in Hong Kong," Working Papers 092004, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Renée Adams & Daniel Ferreira, 2008. "One Share-One Vote: The Empirical Evidence," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 12(1), pages 51-91.
- Ang, James S & Megginson, William L, 1989. "Restricted Voting Shares, Ownership Structure, and the Market Value of Dual-Class Firms," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 12(4), pages 301-318, Winter.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- Zingales, Luigi, 1994. "The Value of the Voting Right: A Study of the Milan Stock Exchange Experience," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(1), pages 125-148.
- Amoako-Adu, Ben & Smith, Brian F., 2001. "Dual class firms: Capitalization, ownership structure and recapitalization back into single class," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1083-1111, June.
- Marco Bigelli, 1998. "The Quasi-split Effect, Active Insiders and the Italian Market Reaction to Equity Rights Issues," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 4(2), pages 185-206.
- Beneish, Messod D & Whaley, Robert E, 1996. " An Anatomy of the "S&P Game": The Effects of Changing the Rules," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1909-1930, December.
- James S. Ang & William L Megginson, 1989. "Restricted Voting Shares, Ownership Structure, And The Market Value Of Dual-Class Firms," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 12(4), pages 301-318, December.
- Dimitrov, Valentin & Jain, Prem C., 2006. "Recapitalization of one class of common stock into dual-class: Growth and long-run stock returns," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 342-366, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lauterbach, Beni & Pajuste, Anete, 2015. "The long-term valuation effects of voluntary dual class share unifications," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 171-185.
- repec:eee:intfin:v:49:y:2017:i:c:p:140-153 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bigelli, Marco & Croci, Ettore, 2013. "Dividend privileges and the value of voting rights: Evidence from Italy," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 94-107.
- Ghosh, Chinmoy & Hilliard, James & Petrova, Milena & Phani, B.V., 2016. "Economic consequences of deregulation: Evidence from the removal of voting cap in Indian banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 72(S), pages 19-38.
- Stephan Nüesch, 2016. "Dual-class shares, external financing needs, and firm performance," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 20(3), pages 525-551, September.
- Bortolon, Patrícia M. & Câmara Leal, Ricardo P., 2014. "Dual-class unifications and corporate governance in Brazil," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 89-108.
- Betzer, André & van den Bongard, Inga & Goergen, Marc, 2017.
"Index membership vs. loss of voting power: The unification of dual-class shares,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 140-153.
- André Betzer & Inga van den Bongard & Marc Goergen, 2017. "Index Membership vs. Loss of Voting Power: The Unification of Dual-Class Shares," Schumpeter Discussion Papers SDP16008, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
More about this item
KeywordsDual class shares; Unification; Corporate governance; Expropriation; Insider trading; Equity structure;
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:corfin:v:17:y:2011:i:5:p:1619-1635. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jcorpfin .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.