Technical assessment of bioenergy recovery from cotton stalks through anaerobic digestion process and the effects of inexpensive pre-treatments
Methane yields from cotton stalks have been reported in the range of 0.022–0.150Nm3/kg-VS in the preceding studies. In this study, hydrothermal pre-treatment of cotton stalks was performed under atmospheric conditions prior to anaerobic digestion process through which, three agents were examined; hot water, dilute ammonia solution containing 2% NH3 (dry matter basis), and recycled liquid from anaerobic process. All three options increased methane yield but the highest results (over 0.200Nm3/kg-VS) were obtained by utilization of recycled process liquid (PL) under an adjusted ammonia content and C:N ratio, which was achieved by dilution of PL with water as well as application of stabilized swine sludge as a nitrogen rich inoculum. The energy balance evaluation of the overall process revealed that bioenergy recovery from pre-treated cotton stalks by anaerobic digestion is feasible and viable only at feed streams with above 10% solids content, methane yield above 0.175Nm3/kg-VS and with heat recovery from hydrothermal pre-treatment tank. A methane yield of 0.184Nm3/kg-VS was observed under semi-continuous feeding of PL treated stalks to a hybrid plug-flow pilot reactor.
Volume (Year): 93 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asam, Zaki-ul-Zaman & Poulsen, Tjalfe Gorm & Nizami, Abdul-Sattar & Rafique, Rashad & Kiely, Ger & Murphy, Jerry D., 2011. "How can we improve biomethane production per unit of feedstock in biogas plants?," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 2013-2018, June.
- Kaparaju, Prasad & Serrano, María & Angelidaki, Irini, 2010. "Optimization of biogas production from wheat straw stillage in UASB reactor," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 3779-3783, December.
- Murphy, J.D. & Power, N., 2009. "Technical and economic analysis of biogas production in Ireland utilising three different crop rotations," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 25-36, January.
- Zeng, Xianyang & Ma, Yitai & Ma, Lirong, 2007. "Utilization of straw in biomass energy in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 976-987, June.
- Pöschl, Martina & Ward, Shane & Owende, Philip, 2010. "Evaluation of energy efficiency of various biogas production and utilization pathways," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(11), pages 3305-3321, November.
- Isci, A. & Demirer, G.N., 2007. "Biogas production potential from cotton wastes," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 750-757.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:93:y:2012:i:c:p:251-260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.