Energy Consumption and Stock Market Relationship: Evidence from Turkey
A large number of studies on the relationship between financial indicators and macroeconomic variables such as economic growth and energy as a result of the increase in the energy prices and their volatility in recent years have emerged. The aim of this study, apart from the other studies in the area, is to investigate the interaction between energy consumption and stock exchange index in Turkey. Ceteris paribus, economic growth with the increase of energy consumption, the growth of the economy impact will also affect the stock exchange which is accepted as the barometer of the economy (vice versa). The interaction between the BIST National 100 index, BIST National Industrial Index and energy consumption is investigated by Johansen Cointegration Test, Granger Causality Test tests based on VAR for the period of 1995-2011. Unidirectional causality relationship is detected from BIST 100 Index and BIST Industrial Index towards energy consumption.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): Special ()
Pages: 34 - 40
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karanfil, Fatih, 2008. "Energy consumption and economic growth revisited: Does the size of unrecorded economy matter?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 3019-3025, August.
- Sari, Ramazan & Soytas, Ugur, 2007. "The growth of income and energy consumption in six developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 889-898, February.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell, 2008. "Energy consumption and real GDP in G7 countries: New evidence from panel cointegration with structural breaks," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2331-2341, September.
- Phung Thanh Binh, 2011. "Energy Consumption and Economic Growth in Vietnam: Threshold Cointegration and Causality Analysis," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 1(1), pages 1-17, June.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Seema & Popp, Stephan, 2010. "A note on the long-run elasticities from the energy consumption-GDP relationship," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 1054-1057, March.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2010. "Energy consumption and growth in South America: Evidence from a panel error correction model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1421-1426, November.
- Ozturk, Ilhan & Acaravci, Ali, 2013. "The long-run and causal analysis of energy, growth, openness and financial development on carbon emissions in Turkey," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 262-267.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 2010. "The impact of financial development on energy consumption in emerging economies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2528-2535, May.
- Islam, Faridul & Shahbaz, Muhammad & Ahmed, Ashraf U. & Alam, Md. Mahmudul, 2013.
"Financial development and energy consumption nexus in Malaysia: A multivariate time series analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 435-441.
- Islam, Faridul & Shahbaz, Muhammad & Alam, Mahmudul, 2011. "Financial development and energy consumption nexus in Malaysia: A multivariate time series analysis," MPRA Paper 28403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 2011. "Financial development and energy consumption in Central and Eastern European frontier economies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 999-1006, February.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Lean, Hooi Hooi, 2012. "Does financial development increase energy consumption? The role of industrialization and urbanization in Tunisia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 473-479.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Çoban, Serap & Topcu, Mert, 2013. "The nexus between financial development and energy consumption in the EU: A dynamic panel data analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 81-88.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ2:2013-04-5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.