The gains from external scale economies and comparative advantage
This note develops a model of inter-personal trade which combines comparative advantage and external scale economies. It is shown that the gains from external scale economies outweigh those from comparative advantage as the population size increases.
Volume (Year): 34 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Lyons, Richard K., 1990.
"Internal versus external economies in European industry,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 805-826, June.
- Caballero, R.J. & Lyons, R.K., 1989. "Internal Versus External Economies In European Industry," Discussion Papers 1989_10, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Courant, P.N. & Deardorff, A.V., 1989.
"International Trade With Lumpy Countries,"
242, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Nordas, Hildegunn Kyvik, 2000. "Comparative Advantage and Economies of Scale: When Does Ricardo Dominate Smith?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 667-80, November.
- Ruffin, Roy J, 1988. "The Missing Link: The Ricardian Approach to the Factor Endowments Theory of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 759-72, September.
- Ronald W. Jones, 2000. "Globalization and the Theory of Input Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026210086x, June.
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2010.
"External Economies and International Trade Redux,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 125(2), pages 829-858, May.
- Ruffin, Roy J., 2009. "The gains from specialization and population size," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 76-77, October.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "Decreasing Costs in International Trade and Frank Graham's Argument for Protection," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1243-68, September.
- James R. Melvin, 1969. "Increasing Returns to Scale as a Determinant of Trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 2(3), pages 389-402, August.
- Kremer, Michael, 1993. "Population Growth and Technological Change: One Million B.C. to 1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 681-716, August.
- Choi, E. Kwan & Harrigan, James, 2003. "Handbook of International Trade," Staff General Research Papers 11375, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2005. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Exports," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 704-723, June.
- Young, Allyn A., 1928. "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 38, pages 527-542.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-13-00742. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.